History of Adams County, Mississippi
Adams County, which was named for United States President Adams, is located in the south-western part of the state, bounded on the south by the Homochitto River, and on the west by the Mississippi River. The size of the county is 400 square miles. Surrounding counties are Wilkinson County on the south, Jefferson County on the north, and Franklin County on the east. Concordia Parish, Louisiana lies due west, across the Mississippi River.

The county was originally known as the Natchez District. In 1799 it was established as Adams County. While the north and east boundaries have remained constant, Adams County traded parcels of land with Wilkinson County, off and on, until 1914 when the present-day boundaries were established.

There are a large number of Indian mounds in Adams county that were constructed by the Natchez Indians that occupied the area for many generations prior to the appearance of the white man.

The first settler in the area, that today is the city of Natchez, was Stephen MINOR. Other early settlers were Isaac GIRAULT, Christopher MILLER, John NUGENT, and Jacob EILER, Sir. Wiliam DUNBAR, Anthony HUTCHINS, Philander SMITH, Peter SURGET, Benjamin GREENFIELD, John W. BRYANT, James TOOLEY, Dr. BRANCH, Dr. RAWLINGS, William BISLAND, John GRAFTON, Samuel IVEY, Capt. Samuel CLEMENT, Capt. John B. NEVETT, Wiliam K. BROOKS, Dr. Isaac SELSER, Angus MacCALLUM, Philetus and Aruth ANDREWS, and Jonathan GUICE.

Link to Dunbar Rowland's History of Adams County
 written in 1925

Return to County Information and Histories


This county is maintained by Carolyn Switzer

Copyright Carolyn Switzer 2002-2009 - All Rights Reserved