Here is an interesting war story from the society editor of
the Daily Corinthian, Mrs. Mildred Sawyer.
It is about a lost and found pitcher once owned by her
ancestors who were among the pioneers who settled in old Tishomingo County
near Rienzi. They were James Lusk, born in Rienzi, June 13, 1803 and
died Sept. 3, 1883; his wife Ellen, born July 25, 1810 and died Sept. 1,
Ellen was the girl who owned an ironstone pitcher trimmed
with a gold band. And this is the story about the pitcher that was lost and
Mrs. Sawyer said during one of the raids that the
Federal soldiers (camped near Bethel Church) made on homes in the Rienzi
community, they stopped at the Lusk homeplace. One of the soldiers
tried to carry away a barrel of molasses, but, finding it too heavy, he
grabbed a pitcher and filled it with molasses. The soldiers left that day
without raiding the outhouses. But they returned later and took everything
they could find in the way of food, including the barrel of molasses.
Several years after the war Mr. Lusk found the
pitcher while clearing some land about a quarter of a mile from his home.
The pitcher was not damaged in any way in spite of the years it had lain
among the brush in the woods.
When Mr. and Mrs. Lusk died they left the pitcher to
their daughter, Alice Lusk, who was born Feb. 28, 1845 and died June
1, 1891. She married James Newton Suitor who was born Jan. 15, 1845
and died Jan. 17, 1922.
This pitcher was passed on to their daughter Mary Ellen
Suitor, who married Joe L. Walker of Kossuth. And the pitcher is
at their home on Route 1 at Rienzi. Mr. and Mrs. Walker are the
parents of Mrs. Mildred Sawyer.
In the accompanying picture (in original article), this
prized memento of the war is being shown to Mary Frances Walker,
eight year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Milton Walker of Rienzi, who
is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Walker.
And Mary Frances Walker is the great great
granddaughter of Ellen Lusk, the orginal owner of this pitcher. Mrs.
Mildred Sawyer believes the pitcher is 150 years old, as she
understands the pitcher was given to Ellen Lusk when she married by
The pitcher has never been more than three miles from its
original home, except when it was brought to the Fairs at Corinth where it
won many a prize for being the oldest piece of pottery on exhibition.
The pitcher has been a keepsake for many years and is not
used now. It now stays with the Walker family at Rienzi.