Photographs - Click on thumbnail to see full image

See also:  Mississippi Plantations and Antebellum Homes in Alcorn County

Ruby Ethel Burress, dau. of Rube Burress and Ozella Viola Tittle Burress    
Paschal John Batavia, husband of Grace E. Burress Ozella Viola Tittle Burress, wife of Rube Burress Ruby Ethel Burress Jackson and her husband, G.B. Jackson
 
First building of McPeters Funeral Home This is Potts Camp, MS. in the good ole days Grace E. Burress, daughter of Rube Burress and Ozella Viola Tittle.
Corinth Centennial Parade 1950's
Photo 2, 3 , 4

Janice Switcher

Texico Station on
Hwy 45

Janice Switcher

The old County Jail Corinth, Alcorn Co., MS

Janice Switcher

Cross Roads of Corinth, MS
This was of great strategic value during Civil War.

Helah Wilson

Train Depot, Corinth

 

Helah Wilson

Two "iron horses" ,both switch engines, in the Corinth yard, meet at the intersection of the M&O and Southern Railroads, not to contest which will cross first, but to have a picture made of each engine's five member crew and other railroad personnel. Engine No. 534 is on the M&O track headed north. The Southern engine is headed west. Photo taken in 1916 at the old Corinth depot.

Vicki Burress Roach

John Burnett Gin
The gin burned during the depression.

Vicki Burress Roach

Curlee Hotel
The two-story Curlee Hotel was built before the Civil War and stood just east of the railroad.  During the war, wounded soldiers were cared for in the hotel by the owners, C.B. and Sue Duncan Curlee.  The hotel burned in the early 1900's.

Vicki Burress Roach
Furtick Gin
Owned by J.D. Furtick, Sr.

Vicki Burress Roach

Biggers Hardware
Corinth 2005

 

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

This building is 501 Cruise Street.  It is on the corner of Cruise and Fillmore Streets in downtown
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes
correction made by:
Vicki Burress Roach

Chancery
Corinth 2005

 

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Christian Church
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Coliseum
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Borroum's Drug Store
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Gulf-Mobile Caboose
at Historic Train Depot
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Historic Train Depot
Corinth 2005
 

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes


Entrance Old Train Depot
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

B. F. Liddon Bank Building
The Liddon building, on the northeast corner of Cruise and Franklin streets, was erected in 1905 to house the Citizens Bank operated by J.O. Liddon and his son, B.F. Liddon.
Upper floors were used as offices; and, at one time, the third floor was used by a dancing club organized by the young men of the city.
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

SouthBank Building
Recently refurbished, for many years this was the Corinth post office
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Historic Marker 
Town of Corinth - 2005

 

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Downtown street scene
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Downtown street scene
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Entrance to Trailhead
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Waldron Building
Corinth 2005

Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes

Jacinto Courthouse
Court Square
Rienzi - Undated

Library of Congress

Interior Court Room
Jacinto Court House
Rienzi - Undated

Library of Congress

Alcorn County Jail
Taylor Street at Railroad tracks
Corinth 1960's

Library of Congress

Corinth Court House and High School Post card

USGenWeb Penny Postcards-

Postcard of the New
Waldron Hotel,
Corinth MS

Vicki Burress Roach

Lloyd Gann
was the owner and operator.  This was located on Highways 45 and 72.  Seated 100 people.  New 36 unit Motel next door. Building has been torn down and no longer exists.


Vicki Burress Roach
Hotel Waldron
The Waldron Hotel was erected in the late 1890's at the northeast corner of Waldron and Taylor streets. The stuccoed third story was added when Miss Lula Robinson managed it. In the 1930's and 40's the dining room was famous for its gourmet food.

Vicki Burress Roach

2nd Courthouse
Corinth's second courthouse built in 1880.  It burned in 1917 and the present and third courthouse was completed in 1918.

Vicki Burress Roach

Downtown Corinth ca 1906.
The statute is of Col. William P. Rogers, Civil War hero. He was with the 2nd Texas and led the charge at Battery Robinette in Corinth. He was killed and is buried at Fort Robinette.
The statute of Col. Rogers was erected in this intersection of Waldron and Franklin Streets in the fall of 1895. It remained there until the streets were paved in the 1920's when it was moved to Court Square.
Waldron Street had been graveled and water lines laid by 1900. The three-story Masonic Hall was on the left just west of Court Square.

Vicki Burress Roach

Old McRae Hospital.
It no longer exists.
Dr. W.W. McRae opened a facility in his residence on the corner of Webster and Foote streets around 1908.
This facility served approximately eight years, being replaced by a 12-bed unit at the corner of Franklin and Foote streets. Containing offices, x-ray and laboratory facilities on the first floor, the structure served until 1923 when it was destroyed by fire.
In 1924 a new 40-bed hospital opened at Gloster and Douglas streets. This McRay Hospital was operated by W.W. McRae and his son, Dr. Maury McRae. In the same year, a school of nursing was established and accredited by the Mississippi Board of Nursing to operate in the new facility. The nursing school operated until 1942.
The demand for hospital services continued to grow rapidly during the 1920's, prompting the opening of Corinth Hospital.
The McRae Hospital continued expanding, adding more beds in 1928. The structure was damaged by fire in 1942 but was rebuilt. The 68-bed facility was taken over by the City of Corinth shortly after the end of World War II at the request of Dr. McRae. It functioned as the "Community Hospital" until December 1965.

Vicki Burress Roach

This is the present and third Corinth courthouse.  It was built in 1918 after the second courthouse burned in 1917.  You can also see the statute of Col. Rogers which was moved from the street onto the courthouse lawn.

Vicki Burress Roach

This building was formerly the Corinth High School. It is located on Fifth Street. It was built in 1939.  It currently serves as the Corinth Junior High School.

Vicki Burress Roach

This building was erected in 1918 on Madison Street.  It was used by grades 6-12 until 1939 when it became only the Junior High School.

Vicki Burress Roach
The Coliseum Civic Center was constructed in 1924 by self-styled architect, Benjamin Franklin Liddon.  Originally designed as a palatial multi-purpose theatre, the Coliseum has accommodated both live and screen performances.  During the infancy of the movie industry, a theatre organ accompanied silent screen productions.  Traveling vaudeville shows, stars of the entertainment world, and academy award winning movies have all been a part of the Coliseum's rich repertoire.  The 1,000 seat Coliseum Civic Center is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Vicki Burress Roach
Illinois Motel on Highway 45 North in Corinth.

Vicki Burress Roach

Corona Plaza Motel
Intersection of Highways 45 and 72 (no longer exists).
Mr. and Mrs. B.C. Jones, owners and managers.

Vicki Burress Roach

Fort Robinette is in the western section of Corinth.  It was the scene of a fierce battle during the Civil War.  The Confederates tried to recapture Corinth, but were turned back.
Fort Robinette is the proud new home of the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center.

Vicki Burress Roach

Crystal Lake, later called Liddon Lakes
These five man made lakes are located on Highway 72 east in Corinth.  During the 1950's and 60's there were tennis courts, playgrounds, restaurant, picnic area, fishing, boating and a large swimming pool.

Vicki Burress Roach

The old Rubel Building provides a backdrop for a shipment of cotton bales in the railroad yard when cotton was king in Corinth.  This photo was taken in the mid 1800's.

Vicki Burress Roach

The Corinth State Bank's interior shows the inside of the Liddon Building as it was in the 1920's at the corner of Cruise and Franklin Streets.

Vicki Burress Roach

BORROUM'S DRUG STORE
Borroum's Drug Store was established in 1865 and is Mississippi's oldest pharmacy.  The soda fountain is still in use, serving hand-dipped ice cream, cherry Cokes and other old favorites.  The store also has a museum area.

Vicki Burress Roach

FILLMORE STREET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The Fillmore Street Presbyterian Church was organized by Rev. E.C. Gillenwaters in 1857 under a brush arbor and was the first church organized in the town known then as Cross City.  The present building was constructed in 1872 during the pastorate of Rev. T.H. Padget.  It demonstrates a very good example of Gothic Revival architecture.  The church contains well-designed lancet windows which frame colorful stained glass and attractive wood detail.  In 1872 the building consisted of only the sanctuary.  The windows then were of plain glass and rounded at the top.  In 1898 the vestibule with the two-tower effect, topped with high pitched gabled dormers on the steeples, was added to the facade of the building.  The beautiful stained glass windows were also installed at that time.  In 1923 an addition of twelve Sunday School rooms was attached to the rear portion.
The building is now owned by First Methodist Church.  It is a very popular wedding chapel.

Vicki Burress Roach
The present site on Shiloh Road was purchased in 1951.  Construction began in 1952 and was completed in 1953.  Additions and renovations have been added over the years.

Vicki Burress Roach

The old Corinth Hotel and Cross City Restaurant are pictured during the Civil War.  Soldiers, foreground, guard bales of cotton during the Seige and Battle of Corinth.

Vicki Burress Roach

This is South Fillmore Street in Corinth.  The photo shows boarding houses, stores and the Adams Machine Shop in in the background just before the Civil War.

Vicki Burress Roach

This photo is a copy of a Corinth Museum photograph which shows a gathering of Federal troops listening to an address by General Lorenzo Thomas on the advisability of using black troops in the field.  The location is the grove in front of what is now known as the Curlee House (Verandah House) between Jackson and Fillmore Streets in Corinth.

Vicki Burress Roach

This was the home of Dr. Andrew Jackson Borroum.  It stood at the northwest corner of Fillmore Street and Bunch Street (no longer exists).  It was the Corinth Headquarters in 1862 of Confederate General P.G.T. Beauregard and later of Federal General John Pope.

Vicki Burress Roach

This house is no longer standing.  In 1862 it served as Corinth headquarters of Confederate General A.S. Johnston and later of Federal General G.H. Thomas.  It was located at the southeast corner of Fillmore and Bunch streets.  This was the home of Mrs. Maggie Borroum Johns and William Riley Borroum.  It burned around 1922.

Vicki Burress Roach

Taken around 1890.  The W.T. Adams Machine Co. was established in Corinth in 1879.  They manufactured engines, boilers, sawmills, etc.  This shows the main offices which faced Tate Street across the railroad.  In the foreground is the Railroad Hotel which was torn down in 1924.  The Adams Co. was in business 40 years.  At its peak, it had 500 employees.  It constructed and operated the first electric light plant the furnished the first free library.

Vicki Burress Roach
Southeastern Express was one industry serving Corinth in the early 1900's.  This picture was made on Waldron Street across from the courthouse.

Vicki Burress Roach

The Opera House located on the corner of Foote and Franklin Street around the early 1920's.

Vicki Burress Roach

This served as the Union depot during the Civil War.

Vicki Burress Roach

W T Adams, the builder and owner of Adams Machine Shop.  This house stood where the Baptist church stands now in the center of town.

Jim Adams

This is the Rienzi Comet Band.  The names are on enlarged photo.

Jim Adams

Pleasant Ridge Cumberland Presbyterian Church
This church was built about 1890 on a one acre lot given by E.J. Green, P.A. Honnoll, W.N. Suitor and J.F. McCord, Trustees.  It is located in the Hinkle community near the present Wesley Chapel Methodist Church.

Vicki Burress Roach

Bruce's Drive In
This is Bruce Brown standing in front of his business, Bruce's Drive Inn, which operated many years in downtown Corinth on Fillmore Street.  This picture was made around 1950.

Vicki Burress Roach

Byrnes Hardware, Corinth, Mississippi about 1930.

Vicki Burress Roach

David Arthur Horn and wife, Mattie Glen Voyles Horn with their three children; Les, Hoyt and Jewel.
They owned land on old Hwy. 45 on the Mississippi and Tennessee side of the state line.  They would put logs under the house and roll it from MS to TN depending on where the nearest school was located.

Vicki Burress Roach

Southern and M&O railroad crews at Corinth at the old depot.  Taken about 1916.

Vicki Burress Roach

I.C. Depot in Corinth about 1903.

Vicki Burress Roach

Rubel Building in downtown Corinth.

Vicki Burress Roach

Henry Cemetery, Corinth, MS
Founded in 1879 by Milton B. Henry family on land sold by the Chickasaws to the U.S. government in 1832.  Henry purchased 160 acres in 1856.  Robert Henry Young, an infant grandson of M.B. Henry, was the first person buried here.  The Henry Cemetery was incorporated on Sept. 4, 1906.  It is the largest cemetery in Alcorn County.

Vicki Burress Roach
This is a side view of Shiloh Presbyterian church and cemetery in Alcorn County.

Vicki Burress Roach

Florence Clark Green and Elisha Jasper Green home.  Mrs. Green is standing on the front porch in Rienzi Community in the late 1800's.

Vicki Burress Roach

This is construction of the original "old" Waldron Hotel on Waldron Street in downtown Corinth.  Later there was a "new" Waldron Hotel built.

 

Piney Grove Baptist Church was founded June 2, 1874.  Piney Grove is outside of Rienzi and on the Alcorn/Prentiss county lines.

Vicki Burress Roach

Downtown Corinth.  Cruise Street.

Vicki Burress Roach

This is the old Methodist Church.  The new building is located on Fillmore Street and is currently called First United Methodist Church.

Vicki Burress Roach

The 1st Presbyterian Church, which was located on the NE corner of Franklin - Foote intersection, before it was relocated to Shiloh Road.

Vicki Burress Roach

The Clock on the Courthouse in Alcorn County


Helah Wilson

Statue that is on Court Square , used to sit in middle of street.

Helah Wilson

Old Hickory Flat School, it is located on highway 356, Rienzi,MS


Janice Switcher

These photos were taken from Daily Corinthian Newspaper (Corinth MS) 04/30/1981.
Papa's Shop was taken about 1918, probably about the same time as the Street View
These photos were taken from Daily Corinthian Newspaper (Corinth MS) 04/30/1981.
Papa's Shop was taken about 1918, probably about the same time as the Street View
RIENZI RAILROAD STATION
The Mobile and Ohio Railroad passed through Rienzi at the point of the Rienzi Station.  The original building, which was burned by Union soldiers in June 1864, was replaced with the one pictured.  This photo was taken in the early 1900's.  The depot was later dismantled.

Vicki Burress Roach
RIENZI METHODIST CHURCH
During the Civil War, a Yankee Infantry Company camped in and around the wooden Rienzi Methodist Church.  The building was spared from burning because of the Masonic Hall housed upstairs.  The commander of the company was a mason and ordered the Baptist Church around the corner burned instead.

Vicki Burress Roach
Post card from Corinth, MS dated Sep 3 4: PM 1918.  Addressed to Miss Vera Davis, Baxterville, MIss.  Message You're quite a joker ????l caught up with ???????.  Know your glad school will start soon. Best wishes to you for a successful year in school.  Love Theodocia H. 1894 sketch of Corinth Public School building.

 

Vicki Burress Roach

Sketch of one of the earlier buildings of Farmington Baptist Church
Believed to be one of the oldest churches in the state of Mississippi dating back to the early days of civilization.
The location was beside a wilderness road which ran North and South.  North of the church some 1/4 mile a site was cleared and the settlers sorrowfully buried their loved ones.  This is believed to be in the same location as the present day cemetery. The church is believed to have been used as a hospital during the Civil War.  The war took its toll on the membership of Farmington, dropping the number from 64 to less than half that number in 1866.
After the war the church site was moved to the site formerly occupied by the school, beside the cemetery.
 
--
Alcorn County Home
Copyright Notice:
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced electronically or otherwise without specific permission from the county host and/or the contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.

Copyright - MSGenWeb Team - All Rights Reserved