Chapel Hill Methodist
Wording engraved on monument in front of the church
Originally Reed's Chapel
Church, Honoring Elijah Harrison Reed who came to Choctaw County about 1843.
Some 200 yards north of this spot, Reed taught school in a log cabin which also
housed a Methodist Church and a Masonic Lodge.
A second building across the road from the original, was constrtucted about 1870 and designated Chapel Hill. The present building was completed about 1897. Original land donors were Sam Reed, Alonzo Bright and John Sheedy, later joined by J. P. Sheedy and K. L. Tennyson.
Humphry Reed, Tom Ruff and Ben Mosely were major contributors to the construction of 1897.
August 16, 1970
Return to Index
All copyrights reserved. This information may be used by libraries, genealogical societies, and other genealogy researchers. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owner.
If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.