Historical Marker erected by descendants of Frederick & Margaret Bagwell
The Historical Marker states:
SHILOH METHODIST CHURCH AND CEMETERY
Established ca.1836. Shiloh Methodist Church was disbanded by 1875.
Remaining members joined other churches in area, including Mt. Airy, Chestnut Grove, and Bethel. Frederick and Margaret Crawford Bagwell, early settlers of Choctaw County, are buried in the Shiloh Church Cemetery.
The original tombstone disappeared. It
was photographed beforehand. It
Was born in
Greenville District, S.C.
Married at 19 years old
And moved to Shelby Co., Ala
And then moved
To Choctaw County, Miss.
Oct 2, 1864
Age 64 years, 9 mos., 1 day
Front of new Bagwell
Back of Bagwell
tombstone with Children's Names
The new tombstone states on the
Married 1819 (centered on stone)
Frederick (Frederick's inscription on left of stone)
Jan. 1, 1800
Oct 2, 1864
Margaret Ann Crawford (Margaret's inscription on right of stone)
Apr. 12, 1874
Born Greenville Dist., SC (centered on stone)
Moved to Shelby Co., AL (centered on stone)
Then Choctaw Co., MS (centered on stone)
The back of the tombstone
Terry H. Peter Crawford
Henry B. Mary Elizabeth
Jane Caroline William Asberry
Christiana Martin VanBuren
James William Sarah
Margaret Mary Ann
The only other identification in this cemetery
is a pine knot engraved with the initials W. H. B. Frederick and Margaret Bagwell were my
great great grandparents.
The above information on Shiloh Methodist Cemetery was submitted by Johnnie Bouck, Copyright 1999-present-2005, all rights reserved.
The following photos were submitted by William Latham, Jr.
Peter Crawford Bagwell -- Oct 15, 1836 - July 8, 1869; Pvt Co 115, Miss Infantry, Confederate States Army
Fredrick Bagwell -- June 18, 1813 - Sept 16, 1868; Pvt Co E 29 Miss Infantry, Confederate States Army
Martin Van Buren Bagwell -- Nov 23, 1840 - Aug 1, 1915; Pvt Co 115, Miss Infantry, Confederate States Army
William Asberry Bagwell -- Mar 3, 1835 - Jan 10, 1913; Pvt Co 115, Miss Infantry, Confederate States Army
Choctaw Co Cemeteries
Return to Choctaw Co Home Page