Situated in the S. part of the state. Area, 570 sq.ms.
Drained by branches of Leaf r., a tributary of the Pascagoula r.
The soil for the most part is moderately fertile, & covered with
light and open pinewoods. There are some portions of
fertile land bordering the streams. Capital, Williamsburg.
There were in 1850, live stock valued at $145,968;
Ind. corn, 108, 920 bush. produced; sweet potatoes, 51, 849;
rice, 41,235 pounds; cotton, 1,164 bales;
- w emp'd in manufac., $5,900; value of manufactured
articles, $11,127; - 2 churches; 1 academy, 45 pupils;
4 schools, 81 scholars.
Pop. 1840, 2,717; 1850, 3,328.