Coxes Chapel Missionary Baptist Church
Coxes Chapel early history begins in Chulahoma with signing of Proclamation
The South Reporter, April 1986
Submitted by Martha Fant
(Note: African American Church)
The Coxes Chapel Missionary Baptist Church had its beginning in the minds of the Black people of the Chulahoma community. After the Emancipation Proclamation was signed in 1865, the members of the community joined together to organize the church. The first members of Coxes Chapel Missionary Baptist Church met and held religious services under a bush harbor above Ned Tuggles' spring which was located about one and one-half miles southeast of the present town of Chulahoma. With the help of Rev. Miller and with Rev. W. M. Goodman as the first pastor, the Church had its official beginning in 1868.
After the first members organized, they had no building in which to worship. The White brothers of the Chulahoma community gave the members permission to worship one Sunday a month in their church in the town of Chulahoma.
The first deacons of Coxes Chapel Missionary Baptist Church were Brothers Rundom Brisco, Issac Brisco, Dennis Brisco, Mose Falkner, Riley Peel, Alfred Peel, and Nathan Dean.
About 1870 it was decided by the deacons and the members that the church would be built. They purchased a plot of land from Mr. Matt Cox. The first two structures were destroyed by fire. In 1938, a third structure was built on the same plot of land. Since the church was constructed 114 years ago, many souls have been brought to Jesus Christ. The church has thrown out the lifeline to its members and other members of the North Mississippi area. It has helped Blacks develop themselves spiritually, academically, and professionally.
This Page Was Last Updated