Indian Springs School
Students, ca 1937-38
Courtesy of Charlene Ash McGill
Front row, l to r: Nan Morgan, Mary Nell Morgan.
Second row: James “Jim” Dempsey Ash, Cecil Charles Ash and his twin sister, Charlene Ash McGill.
Back row: James Russell Ash, Jesse Merle “Flick” Ash, Irene Ash Lawrence.
Pictured are the students from the second one room school named Indian Springs. The first was destroyed by fire in 1935. The new school was located at the junction of what is now the Lebanon and Bethlehem roads on property that was donated by James Guy Ash. There was no water or electricity. Water was carried in a pail from a spring located a quarter mile from the school - down a steep hill – on James Guy Ash’s property. Heat was provided by a wood burning stove located in the middle of the room.
The WPA constructed two barn red outhouses behind the school house, one for the boys and one for the girls. In 1941 Marshall County ordered many one and two teacher schools to be consolidated, including Indian Springs. The students then went to the Potts Camp Consolidated school.
Mrs. Evelyn (Delma) Whaley, Miss Irene Stone, Mrs. Addie Cox Hollida and Mrs. Mary Ella Smith were the teachers (listed consecutively at Indian Springs School).
This Page Was Last Updated