East of Pachuta, Elwood Community
|(C.V.) Akin House; Clarion Street, DeSoto
|Asher's Cabin; SR 513, Stonewall
|Barbour-Estes House; River Rd,
Enterprise Circa 1856 Greek Revival vernacular • River Road.
Local legend says this was the Choctaw village site. The street on
which this house lies was originally lined with Indian wigwams.
|Bradshaw-Booth House; Stonewall St,
|Brown-Wilson House; SR 11, Enterprise,
Circa 1850 • Greek Revival • Highway 11. The Brown-Wilson House is
architecturally significant in its application of Greek Revival
details to the classically inspired form of the structure. One of four
antebellum houses in the county of the pyramidal roof with inset
|(Judge John L.) Buckley House; Bridge
St, Enterprise, Circa 1920 • Bungalow/Craftsman • Bridge Street
(Highway 513). One of the most sophisticated articulations of
the bungalow in Clarke County, thus a locally important work of early
twentieth century residential design. It illustrates how the people of
Clarke County preserved traditional architectural elements,
incorporating them into modern residential design.
|Carmichael House; DeSoto
|(Benjamin H.) Carter House; Ferrill
|Compton-Short House; Tuscaboma St,
Enterprise,Circa 1850 • Greek Revival • Highway 514. The Compton-Short
House’s historical significance is attributed to its Civil War
associations. It is architecturally significant as one of two “costal
cottage” type houses in the country. During the Civil War, the small
room at the northwest end of the house was used as a stockade when
fighting erupted between two Confederate regiments of General
O’Farrell’s brigade camped near Enterprise. The only entrance to this
room is from the front gallery. The house is now named “September
Song” by the present owner, Sue Horton.
|Cook-Sellers House; Station St,
|Covington House; DeSoto
|Davis House; River Rd., Enterprise,
Circa 1820 & 1860 • Greek Revival • River Road. The site is said
to have been the location of the Catholic Mission to the Choctaws. The
rear gabled section with shed roof, constructed in 1820, originally
had a log ell on its northeastern end that was supposedly a part of
the Choctaw Mission.
|Dearman House; Bridge St & River Rd,
|(Capt. C. C.) Ferrill House (aka
Kirkland Family House); Franklin St, Quitman, Circa 1900 • Spindlework
Mode • Queen Anne • 118 East Franklin Street. The house was originally
constructed for Captain C.C. Ferrill but was purchased by the Kirkland
family by 1910. The Kirkland’s were prominent business people in
Quitman. The family resided here until the 1950’s. The house
illustrates how the social and economic changes sweeping Clarke County
at the turn of the century affected the community of Quitman.
|Ford-Williams House; SR 514, Energy
|Forestdale Plantation; Pachuta
Circa 1855-1857 • Greek Revival • Located at the end of County Road
1222, southwest of Quitman.
The McGowan-Fatherree plantation was built by the McGowan brothers,
originally from Georgia, and was located on the old stagecoach road.
The McGowan family became the leading family in the immediate
vicinity, and their plantation was a gathering place for political,
social, and religious functions. Hamilton and Elbert McGowan were
twins. Along with their younger brother Robert, they helped construct
McGowan’s Chapel, the first Methodist Church in the area. The
plantation was entirely self-sufficient. Cotton, corn, vegetable
crops, and melons were cultivated. A cotton gin was operated on the
place and ginned cotton for the neighbors. There was also a gristmill,
sawmill, and molasses mill located on the original homestead.
Enterprise, Circa 1820-1830 • Greek Revival • River Road.
Cottage-style antebellum home. Said to have housed doctors and nurses
working in the hospital in the Hunter-Frost House during the Civil
|Hand House; North St, Shubuta
|House at 200 East Franklin Street;
Franklin St, Quitman, Circa 1905 • Free Classical Mode of Queen Anne
Style. The house is representative of the type of housing being
constructed in Quitman at the turn of the century and symbolizes the
prosperity and progress that came to the community because of the
Mississippi Lumber Company’s mill established here in 1900.
|House on Old Mill Creek Road; Old
Mill Creek Rd, Enterprise
|Hunter-Frost House; River Rd,
Enterprise, Circa 1850 • Greek Revival • River Road. This home
is said to have served as a hospital during the Civil War. It is one
of the most architecturally significant of the antebellum houses of
the county because it is a well-proportioned moderated-sized Greek
Revival country residence.
|(William) Johnson House; Enterprise
Circa 1850 & 1877 • Greek Revival • Second building from the northeast
corner of Church and South Stonewall Streets, East Enterprise Historic
District. As originally constructed by William Johnson, the
house was a one-story, Greek Revival cottage with a central hall plan.
The house passed through many owners until 1887 when it was purchased
by R.M. Buckley, a prominent Enterprise merchant and cotton buyer. At
that time, the house was a two-story structure with a two-tier, front
gallery. In 1899, a front wing with a large birthing room was added.
The wing was later removed.
|(J. K.) Kirkland General Merchandise Store
; Main St, Quitman, Circa 1905 • 124 Main Street.
Kirkland building has a high degree of architectural integrity. It is
a significant example of the two-story, brick commercial buildings
that were characteristic of small commercial architecture during the
prosperous years of the early twentieth century.
|Lee-Mitts House; Stonewall St,
Enterprise, Circa 1850 • Greek Revival • Second building from
southwest corner of South Stonewall and Bridge Streets. Dr. Paul Lee
built this house and was living here when the Civil War began.
According to local tradition, a covered walkway connected Lee’s house
to the Presbyterian Church. Dr. Lee cared for the wounded soldiers at
the church. The Lee family sold the house to Charles G. Swan, who came
to Enterprise with the Brookpark Lumber Company between 1900 and 1906.
|McCrory-Deas-Buckley House; Bridge
St, Enterprise, Circa 1855 • Greek Revival • Southwest corner of
Bridge and St. John Street, East Enterprise Historic District.
Also known as “Twistwood,” the house has been in the Deas family since
|McGee-Hudson House; Tuscaboma St,
|(Dr.) McNair House (aka Jeff Carter
House); Church St, Quitman
|McNeill-McGee House; Lake Bounds
|Methodist Parsonage House; A St,
Enterprise, Circa 1856 • Greek Revival • Olliphant Street. This house
is still known as the Parsonage House. The first Methodist Church was
on a lot behind this house. The lot for the church was donated by
Charles E. Mayeroff around 1830. Historical significance comes from
its long association with Enterprise Methodist Church.
|(Noah) Moore House; Main St,
Enterprise, Circa 1895 • Queen Anne III • Main Street. One of the best
examples of Spindle-work mode of Queen Anne style architecture in
Clarke County. The interior features 14-foot ceilings and beaded board
wainscoting. In the central hall is a spindled frieze.
|Overseer's House and Outbuildings of Lang
Plantation; Langsdale See Prairie Palace
|Pilgrim's Rest; Tuscaboma St,
Enterprise, Circa 1850 • Greek Revival • Highway 514. Pilgrim’s Rest
is architecturally significant in its application of Greek Revival
details to the classically inspired form of the structure although the
roofline has been altered and the rafters exposed.
|Prairie Place; Langsdale,
Shubuta Circa 1855 • Greek Revival • Langsdale County
Road 610, east of Shubuta in the Langsdale Community.
This is the most outstanding and remarkable house in Clarke County and
is in a good state of preservation. This land was originally owned by
Thomas P. Falconer, an early resident of Wayne County. It came into
the Lang family in 1846. Clement D. Lang, a wealthy bachelor son of
the original Lang owner, W.A. Lang, began construction of the house
and plantation after 1853. It is said that 12 carpenters and all
available slave labor were required to build the house, which took 14
months to construct at a cost of $35,000. Lang owned several thousand
acres of land and 500 slaves. Cotton was the principal money crop. It
was shipped down the Chickasawhay River to Mobile on flat boats.
During this time, Langsdale was a social and cultural center for the
surrounding countryside. Clement Lang was ruined by the Civil War and
Other buildings of interest at Prairie Palace include two sets of
out-buildings (circa 1855). One is the only remaining set of
out-buildings in the county associated with this type of plantation.
The other is the only remaining slave quarters on this plantation. Two
rows of brick buildings, 10 or 12 originally, were built on each side
of a wide tree-lined road about one-fourth mile to the west of the
house. Each house is said to have housed two families. The Overseer’s
House (circa 1830) is a folk-giant dogtrot, the largest dogtrot in the
county and possibly the largest in the state. WPA records make
reference to an overseer’s house that could have been this building,
as it is located to the west of the house between the original
slave-quarter row and the house. Dwight Tew, a previous owner, was
offered $30,000 for the dogtrot by a man from New Orleans, who wanted
to dismantle it and sell the logs individually for $1,000 each.
|Price-Patton-Pettis House; Shubuta
|Quitman Depot; Quitman,
Circa 1910 • East of the railroad tracks near the junction of Main
Street and Railroad Avenue. The Quitman depot symbolizes the
importance of transportation facilities to industrial growth in Clarke
County. The depot is an archetype of the station that was built in
small towns all across the United States from the late 1830’s to
1930’s. It is the only existing example of a combination
passenger/freight depot in Clarke County and retains a high degree of
|Riverside Plantation; SR 11,
Enterprise, Circa 1850 • Greek Revival • Second house on County
Road 367 on east side of Highway 11.
This house is said to have served as the Federal Headquarters during
the occupation of Enterprise, and its historical significance derives
from this association. Riverside is architecturally significant as one
of two, two-story Greek Revival plantation houses in Clarke County.
|Smith-McClain-Buckley House; Stonewall
|Stephenson-Allen House; Bridge St,
Enterprise, Circa 1850 • Greek Revival • River Road. This house
served as headquarters for Confederate officers in the area during the
Civil War. In addition, the house was acquired around the turn of the
century by Laura Stephenson, a prominent citizen of the community and
compiler of Clarke County’s Works Projects Administration source
material. It has been owned by her family for almost 80 years.
|Sumrall-Albritton House; SR 45,
Shubuta Circa 1859 • Greek Revival vernacular • 175 County Road 253,
north of Shubuta on Highway 45.
This house was built by Jacob Sumrall, a railroad man living in the
area after the arrival of the Mobile & Ohio Railroad in 1855. His
family is said to have lived in boxcars until this house was
completed. The site became a community center and was known as
“Sumrall Switch” because the train would stop here to offload
groceries distributed from a store behind the house. The Sumralls had
a brick kiln and ground their own feed. Their place is said to be the
site of the first church and school in this vicinity.
|Trotter-Byrd House; Franklin St,
Quitman, Circa 1852 • Greek Revival • 419 East Franklin Street. The
Trotter-Byrd House was built by William B. Trotter, originally of
Tennessee, who was an attorney in Quitman. In 1845, Trotter was a
candidate for Fourth District Attorney and colonel of the 31st
Regiment of the Mississippi Militia. He was elected Brigadier General
in 1847. Trotter married Elizabeth Lee Terrell of Virginia in 1846.
Her mother, Frances Lewis Terrell, was the granddaughter of Fielding
Lewis and Catherine Washington, first cousin of George Washington. The
historical significance of the Trotter-Byrd house lies in its
association with Trotter, one of the country’s most important
residents, and his wife, a descendant of George Washington. It is
architecturally significant as one of three, two-story Greek Revival
houses in Clarke County and is the only one of this group that did not
function as a plantation house.
|Ward House; Enterprise
1853 • Greek Revival vernacular • 1863 County Road 374 • Two miles
west of Highway 11 (Ward Road)
W.A. and Laura L. Ward moved to Clarke County in 1846 from the Kershaw
District of South Carolina (Camden). They settled north of Enterprise
on an 800-acre tract on the Chunky River and lived in a log cabin
until their home was built. W.A. Ward became a very successful planter
who was almost hanged for his money by Gen. William T. Sherman’s
troops when they invaded Enterprise. The soldiers were after $1,800 in
gold Ward had received for the sale of cotton shipped down the
Chickasawhay River to Mobile, Alabama, sometime before the Enterprise
invasion. The Ward House is historically significant for its Civil War
associations and the contributions made by the Ward family to the
economic and social development of Enterprise. The house and land have
been owned continuously by the Wards for more than 125 years. The
architectural significance is attributed to the house being one of two
antebellum “coastal cottages" in the county, a vernancular type house
with a double pitched roof.
|Jim Williams House;
Circa 1925 • Bungalow/Craftsman.
One of the most significant examples of the bungalow in Clarke County
and thus a locally important work of early twentieth century
residential design. On west side of N. River Road and second building
from the northwest corner of State Highway 513 and N. River Road.
|Woolverton-Boyd House; Off SR 513,
|W. V. Wyatt House;
Enterprise, Circa 1890 • Queen Ann • 107 North River Road. Locally
important example of rectilinear mode of Queen Anne style. The house
retains a high degree of architectural integrity. Judged within the
local context of Clarke County, it is important both for its
architecture and as a symbol of the development patterns that occurred
in West Enterprise because of the construction of the New Orleans and
Northeastern Railroad in the 1880's.
to Plantation Table of Contents|