This small community six miles west of Booneville was originally
inhabited by the Chickasaw Indiams who, in 1832, concluded a treaty
with the government whereopon the Indians sold most of thier land and
Joshua Bowdry from Kentucky was among the first to survey the area in
1840 and decided to settle there with his family in approximately
1844. He named his land Blackland because of the rich fertile soil.
Blackland had its own post office with Stella Bowdry as postmistress.
Blackland's first school was built in 1857.
Today, it is primarily a satellite community.
**The above article posted with permission of The Banner-Independent,
Booneville, Ms. It appeared in their History Section March 30, 2000.