Though the nearby area known as Cross Roads had been settled as early
as the 1830's, the plat which Booneville proper sits was bought in
1853 by Bartley Barry Boone, C. W. Williams and W. P. Curlee.
It was named in honor of Reuben Holman Boone, a nephew of the pioneer
Daniel Boone. The land had originally belonged to a Chickasaw Indian
princess named LoHoYea.
With the completion of the railroad, Booneville thrived and was
incorporated in 1861.
A skirmish, now knows as the Battle of Booneville, occurred in June
1862 with the depot being burned. The town was in the path of the
advancing and retreating troops for much of the war. General Nathan
Bedford Forrest, who was victorious at the Battle of Brices
Crossroads, west of present day Baldwyn, is said to have planned his
battle strategies in the Cunningham House on the eve of the
confrontation in 1864.
The Cunningham House has been restored and moved to the historic depot
grounds in downtown Booneville.
After the way, several new counties were formed from parts of
Tishomingo and Tippah - Prentiss being one of them.
On April 15, 1870, Prentiss County was formed with Booneville being
named the county seat.
The town has grown and flourished since that time being an
educational, industrial and commerce center.
Booneville is known as the city of hospitality and is now a certified
**The above article posted with permission of The Banner-Independent,
Booneville, Ms. It appeared in their History Section March 30, 2000.