Obits For The Gilmore Surname
From Tate County, Mississippi

The Life of W.W. Gilmore

In the fullness of his years, ripe with deeds of loving kindness and charity, possessing the esteem and confidence of all who knew him, conscious of having done his whole duty to his fellow man in performing the little kindnesses which go to make up the sum of human happiness, our late brother, W.W. Gilmore, has gone to his final reward.

Brother Gilmore died on the seventh of March, and was laid to rest on the ninth day thereof by his Masonic Brethren who had so long known and loved him as a most worthy and faithful brother, ever at his station and ready at all times to perform any duty imposed on him by his Lodge. He loved masonry, and as he often said, loved it because of its high standard of morals, and the exalted plane upon which every good and true Mason was supposed to walk.

Brother Gilmore was born on the 7th day of January 1827, at Danville, VA. At the age of 24 years, and in the year of 1871 he joined the Order of Free-masonry, and remained a member of the local lodge in Danville until 1856, when he moved to DeSoto County, Miss., four miles west of Senatobia, where he lived till after the Civil War. In the fall of 1865 he moved into the town of Senatobia where he continuously lived till he was called by the Father to that bourn from which no traveler ever returns. His membership with Ebenezer Lodge No. 76 dates back to within a few years of his settling in Miss.

In l85O he married Miss Mary J. Echols, who died in June, 1872, and left him with three children, one daughter and two sons, who survive him. Brother Gilmore entered early in the sixties into the service of his country. He was Orderly-Sergeant under Capt. Albert Ward, and belonged to the 5th Miss. Cavalry. He saw much service under the daring and intrepid Forrest, where to be a soldier meant to be a fighter. His comrades-in-war said of him, that he was a splendid soldier, faithful and courageous; that which no higher tribute can be paid to a man who did service in those dark and unhappy days of carnage and bloodshed.


First, That in the death of our brother, Ebenezer Lodge has lost a member whose zeal and love for masonry may be equaled but never excelled.

Second, That his children have lost a kind and indulgent father, and the community a friend who will be missed in the homes of many of the sick and distressed.

Third, That during the active life of Brother Gilmore, the weather was never too bad, time never too precious, his tired feet never too weary, to go to the bed side of a sick friend, nor was the neighbor too poor or unimportant to merit and receive his best care and kindest ministrations.

Fourth, We would cover his faults and shortcomings with a mantle of charity, and commend to our brethren for their emulation, his many virtues of hand and heart.

Fifth, To his children we offer our sincerest condolence, and in submission to the will of Him who doeth all things well, point them in the way which leads to the reunion with loved ones who have gone before.

Sixth, That the usual badge of mourning be worn for thirty days in memory of our departed brother.

Seventh, That these resolutions be published in the county paper and a copy furnished to his family, and spread upon the minutes.

V.P. Still

Committee T.P. Hill, W.J. East

The Senatobia Democrat
June 30, 1882

Mrs. Mary Jane Gilmore

Mrs. M. J. (Mary Jane) Gilmore, daughter of deceased J. H. And Sarah Echols, was born in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, September 25th, 1831. She was the devoted daughter of devoted Christian parents who carefully looked after her early moral and intellectual training, giving her every advantage then offered the young in their community. At the age of seventeen, she professed faith and hope in Christ. January 16th, 1850, she was happily united in marriage with W.W. Gilmore of Campbell Co., Va. In 1852, she identified herself with the Presbyterian Church of which she remained a retiring but faithful and honored member until her death. In 1858 she moved with her husband into this community, where she has since been a prominent member of society and a blessing to her neighbors. With great pleasure she visited the sick and did whatever else she could to relieve the suffering, and the distressed, but her meekness and modesty ever concealed her true worth from those who did not have the pleasure of knowing her intimately. As a mother, she was tender and loving in her watchful care over her children. She was the only sister of the Rev. J.W. Echols for whom she ever cherished the fondest affection. For some months before her death it became sadly evident that she was hopelessly consumptive and for a long while she was confined to her room and largely to her bed, but she was patient, hopeful and cheerful in the midst of all her sufferings. Her trust in Christ was unwavering and she died in the full triumphs of the Christian hope, June 17, 1882. She leaves a husband, daughter and two sons, who are sadly mourning their loss, but their loss is her eternal gain, and they do not mourn as those who have no hope. Her funeral services were largely attended by sympathizing friends.

"Mister, thou art gone to rest
We will not weep for thee,
For thou art now, where oft on earth
Thy spirit longed to be.
Tis true, thou art gone to rest,
Thy toil and cares are o'er,
And sorrow, pain and suffering now
Shall ne'er distress thee more."

The Senatobia Democrat
Senatobia, Miss., July 16th, 1866

Charles Gilmore

Charlie Gilmore, a little boy thirteen years old, died March 27th, 1866, bequeathing an example of moral heroism worthy of emulation, by the old as well as the young. In life he was a good boy. The prospect to him was full of promise. But alas, it was not his to pluck the golden fruits which his youthful imagination had already glimpsed in the opening future.

On a bright morning, when he was passing the wonted playground filled with his schoolmates, with whom he had but recently parted for the purpose of assisting his father in moving; the horses took fright, ran off with the wagon, and Charlie's leg was crushed against a tree. At first, he seemed to be somewhat alarmed at the thought of sudden death, but soon became quiet and submitted, without a murmur, to the adjusting of the broken bones and lacerated flesh. After one week of severe pain he submits, without hesitation, to amputation. Only a few hours elapse until muscular contraction begins. The paroxysms are not frequent at first, but soon follow each other in quick succession. Lockjaw ensues and death is the result.

Manly courage, filial affection and Christian fortitude were the inspiring influences during his extreme suffering. Often would he suppress his groans, lest he might increase his mother's grief. Nor did he forget the interest of his friends. Evidences of a generous sympathy for his schoolmates were frequently given. "Tell them," he said to his teacher, "to be good children, think of me upon the playground and meet me in heaven."

Often, during the most intense suffering, his soul desired the heavenly melody of Sabbath school music. Some little girls were sent for to sing for him; once or twice, so soothing was the influence, that nervous agitation ceased and balmy sleep again refreshed his suffering nature.

Death approaches. Friends, brothers, sister, father and mother gather around. The parting kiss is embalmed in tears of sympathy and dew drops of death, and Charlie's liberated spirit takes its flight to God, who gave it.

Many thanks to David J. Damico for submitting the article and obituaries above.

 Updated February 22, 2012


 County Coordinators: Syble Embrey & Marie Carlton

All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise stated.

Return to Welcome Page