GREENLEAF METHODIST CHURCH
On June 13, 1853 WILLIAM KAVANAUGH THWEATT and wife MARY WILDER THWEATT deeded 4 acres and 150 poles of land to the Methodist Episcopal Church South, to build a church. A spacious frame building was erected. It was given the name of Greenleaf fro some trees that stood in front.
In 1953, This building gave way for a modern brick veneer structure, which was built by the people in the community. All that was hired done, was brick laid and steeple erected. Much of the material was donated.
They had their first service in this church on August 8, 1954. climaxed with a homecoming.
The members of this church are trying to follow in the footsteps of their fore-fathers, and by the grace of God may we be able to minister to the needs of mankind to the true spirit of Christian love and sacrifice.
The brick structure is shown as it was in 1954 at the dedication. The steeple has since been removed because it was too heavy and the beams could not support the weight.
The Greenleaf Methodist Church is located in the Greenleaf Community approximately 10 miles North East of Coldwater.
This Page Updated January 19, 2010
Tate County Coordinators: Syble Embrey & Marie Carlton
All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise stated.
Return To Churches