Golden was an old village which came to life with the building
of the railroad and the opening of a large lumber mill. Two old
churches, Valley and Ebeneazer, were established on this site
early in county history and during the Civil War skirmishes
occurred here. Golden Sand and Gravel Company, east of town,
shipped hundreds of cars of gravel annually.
Originally Golden was supposed to have been named Wamsley or
Wambi. Then, shortly after the railroad came through, a daughter
was born to Mr. and Mrs. Jim Wiggins. Wiggins, a brick mason,
lived across the road from Dr. A.E. Bostick. Dr. Bostick
delivered the baby girl, Golden Patrie Wiggins on January 18,
1908. Through the encouragement of Dr. Bostick, Golden came to
be named for Golden Patrie Wiggins.
On February 8, 1908, the village of Golden was incorporated with
124 residents. James T. Vaughn was the first mayor; R.A. Miller,
marshall; W.H. Patterson, treasurer; and aldermen: Dr. Laommi
Harris, M.J. Hale and N.B. (Bascom) Mink.
The Golden Methodist Church was organized about 1908. Sawmilling
operations were a major force in the area economy.
Submitted by Kathy Everrit and Cindy Nelson