little town came into existence in 1907 when the J.C. Rorie Road was
built. The town was named for the John Holder and Eli Callicutt
families, taking the first three letters of the name Holder and the
last four letters of Callicutt, dropping on “t”, it became Holcut.
John Martin was the first merchant, Dr. T.P. Haney, Sr., the first
doctor. The post office was located at the Moser place, but later
moved in 1907. John W. Martin was postmaster in 1908. There was once
a cotton gin owned and operated by Bill Belue, a blacksmith shop
owned by Lake Seago and a gristmill owned by Percy Seago.
Holcut’s church history began with Sardis Missionary Baptist Church.
Later, Cross Roads was organized. G.N. Grimes was the first member.
New Lebanon Church was build soon after the Civil War and used by
all denominations. This building served its purpose for almost 50
years. In the same community a new church known as Lebanon Freewill
Baptist Church was built and still serves the area.
country store owned by Claude Chase was the business and gathering
center for those living close by. Later that year a railroad depot
was built for trains to deliver mail and merchandise as others
stores began to open. As the town progressed a United States Post
Office was built. Coleman Helton, just returning from serving in
WWI, bought the Chase business and added to it a general store that
sold everything from horseshoes to dress material.
Section houses were built by railroad officials for families of some
of the men working on the railroad. In addition, Mr. Helton built
several small houses for others, charging only a minimum amount, to
help build the community. Its scattered houses were typical of this
section-log walls, covered with siding, dog trot, and mud chinked
chimneys. There was a cotton gin owned and operated by Bill Belue, a
blacksmith shop owned by Lake Seago and gristmill owned by Percy
Seago, and a barber shop operated by Jack Bobo.
Holcut had a school comprised of students from other communities in
the area. However, time took its toll, because students started
going to nearby towns, the school was closed in 1960.
post office was closed, thus helping end an era of closeness for
this small town. Mail was then delivered by rural route.
Tennessee-Tombigbee Canal had been in the works for many years. Now,
it was becoming a reality. People were forced to sell their homes to
the government and move. Because there was no bridge crossing the
canal at Holcut, it left the highway dead ending on both sides of
the water. Many could not attend the church they belonged to without
going miles out of the way. The bridge was previously crossed over
the railroad was also moved. Holcut was gone!
the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway went through, it wiped Holcut off
the face of the earth. We all know towns that just died out, but
they removed Holcut, dirt and all. The place simply does not exist
anymore. You can’t even get there. The road is gone and the railroad
Times change, thing change. They took our town, our homes and
businesses, but they could not take our memories. In return, they
built a small memorial to Holcut as the only town completely
obliterated by the Tennessee Tom.
Submitted by Edna E. (Helton) Fuller.