Two newspapers were
established at Jacinto in 1849, the Jacinto Reporter
and the Jacinto Democrat.
Eastport supported four
newspapers. In 1850, B. S. Kenyon bought the editorship
of the Iuka Reporter from Dr. M. A. Simmons in
Iuka, who was a Whig. Mr. Kenyon continued the paper
under the policy of the Whigs, but changed the name of
the paper to the New Eleven, after moving it to
Eastport. About this time, the Eastport Gazette
is said to have been published. The North
Mississippi Union was edited by M. G. Lewis. In the
early 1850s, H. H. Tyson edited the Eastport
In 1857 or 1858, Dr. J. S.
Davis bought the Eastport paper known as the New
Eleven from B. S. Kenyon and changed the name to the
Iuka Gazette. Dr. Davis sold it to his brother,
D. L. Davis, who gave it the new name, The Mink.
He was a Southern Democrat. In about 1860, Dr. M. A.
Simmons edited a paper known as the Iuka Mirror.
In September 1860, J. M. Norwent opened a printing
office, and edited a paper supported by the Bell-Everett
presidential ticket which was published until the
Yankees over-ran the County.
In 1868 or 1870, Maj. Hogue
edited the Stenograph at about the same time that
Mr. Bud Jourdan and Dr. F. T. Carmack edited the
In 1868, Mr. E. P. Odom
edited The Tishomingo Herald, and Dr. J. J.
Stibevell edited The Advocate.
Mr. A. T. Matthews edited
the Pentagraph. In about 1895, Mr. G. W. Dudley
bought the Cosmic Gale from Messrs. Jourdan and
Carmack. The name was changed to the Iuka Vidette.
In 1912, he sold it to Sparks and Sparks.
Contributed by Tishomingo
County Historical & Genealogical Society.