Colonel O. J. Moore House - Winona, Mississippi
Below are the historic documents regarding Colonel Moore's home that are in the Library of Congress. Colonel Moore was one of the first settlers of Winona who arrived from Virginia in 1838/48. Additional information on Colonel Moore was obtained from Ron Collins, Vaiden, Mississippi site in his history of Middleton who has graciously allowed use of the information here.
" In 1838 Col. O. J. Moore in company with his brother-in-law, Peter Gee and kinsmen, Thomas Gee, William Gee and Mr. Nolly, came from Virginia (via Summerville, Tennessee) and settled east of Middleton, owned and operated a large mercantile store at Middleton called the “Big Store”. This partnership ended at the outbreak of the Civil War. In Virginia prior to coming to Mississippi Col. O. J. Moore married Rebecca Gee and Peter Gee married Mary Ann Moore owned a plantation near Middleton. They had three sons, married Mr. J. T. Lay, a business man from Grenada. They had one son who died in his youth. His mother died soon after of a broken heart, Mr. Lay having died also about this time. Laura, the second daughter, married Dr. David E. Turner, who came from Alabama in 1860. They had several children who grew to womanhood and manhood, married and moved away.
In 1850 there was talk of a railroad coming through Middleton. The people said if it came through there the town would be ruined. There was so much opposition to this, that Col. Moore offered a right of way through his plantation, also a depot sight. In 1858 this roadway was started, and workmen were busy laying out the road. This caused much talk, speculation and discord as to the influence and bearing it would have on Middleton.
When the Civil War closed a new town had been started on Col. O. J. Moore’s place two miles east of Middleton. In 1858 as previously stated Col. Moore was interested in this railroad. In 1859 the Mississippi Central ran by his place, he having agreed to give them a right of way and ground for a station. The survey was made, and the station site agreed upon. Winona was selected as the name which comes from the Dakota Indian dialect and means the first born of a daughter."
The Nashville Christian Advocate in it's August 27, 1896 edition reported that Colonel Moore died on August 22, 1896.