Grenada County, Mississippi

County History!

The earliest known settlers of Grenada County were missionaries who formed an Indian mission school around 1815 in the current town of Elliott. In 1830, the United States government purchased land from the Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians in the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. It was much of the lands acquired in this treaty that present day Grenada County was formed.

The first town to be organized was Chocchuma, where the land office was located. In 1833 land began to be sold and eventually two rival towns came into ownership of choice sites of land along the Yalobusha River, one called Tullahoma and one Pittsburg. These towns were separated by a section line which is present day Line Street in Grenada. The towns became such bitter rivals that on July 4, 1836, the city of Grenada was formed by the marriage of the two towns.

Grenada County was not actually formed, however, until May 9, 1870 by an act of legislature Through this act, Governor Alcorn appointed five men to make up the first Board of Supervisors for the county, one from each district; J. D. Leflore, Dr. John L. Milton, F. P. Ingram, Andrew Davis and Freelon Townes. The board elected J. D. Leflore as President with Dr. Milton being elected Secretary. Grenada county was utlimately formed from parts of Carroll, Choctaw, Tallahatchie, and Yalobusha counties.

button
How Grenada Got Its Name by William Wright
button
Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1878
button
History of Grenada County by J. Hathorn

Grenada County Coordinator: Sandy Ward