submitted by Harold C. Fisher
About 1844-45, a large group of people left Wilcox/ Lowndes County, AL and moved to Neshoba County, MS. Among them were the LEES, INGRAMS, HILLS, SALTERS and others.
The apparent leader of the LEE Family was AARON LEE, born 1781 in Johnston County, N. C. and his wife MARY UNKNOWN, born 1783 in VA. Both died in 1857 in Neshoba County. He was the son of DAVID LEE, a Revolutionary War veteran. Mrs. LEE may have been a SUGGS, a SILLS and possibly several other names
Children of this couple were:
1. ALSAY H. LEE, born 1801 in N. C. He married MARTHA E. SALTER in Alabama and did not move with the rest of the family. He died about 1857. He and Martha were childless.
2..MARTHA E. LEE, born 1801 in N. C. married LOVARD (LOVETT) INGRAM. She died in Alabama just before the move. Mr. INGRAM moved with the rest of the clan to Neshoba. He was born in 1795 in N. C. He married a second time, in Neshoba, to ELMIRA UNKNOWN. They appear in the Neshoba 1850 census with children of both marriages.
3. JESSE LEE, born 1803 in N. C., married 1833 to LUCINDA HARDY and died in Caddo Parish, LA in 1872. He was a Baptist Minister.
4. MARY EDNA LEE, born 1806 in N. C. married WILLIAM WASHINGTON SALTER. They moved from AL to Neshoba. She died about 1857 in Neshoba. Their children were MARY AMANDA SALTER, SAMUEL AARON SALTER, ELIZA SALTER, who married WILLIAM GAMBLIN of Neshoba, HAZEL JANE NANCY SALTER, who remained in AL., JOSEPHINE SALTER, who moved to Yazoo, JOHN S. SALTER who died in Camp at Corinth, 1861, DAVID HENRY SALTER, EDNA SALTER, and ROXANNE SALTER.
5. NANCY LEE, who remained in AL and was married to JOHN W. STEEN & WM PARROTT.
6. NOEL LEE, born 1813 in N. C. marr ELIZA ATKINSON, and died in Vicksburg, 1863. Their children were THOMAS JEFFERSON LEE, SUSAN LEE, MARTHA LEE, ZACHERY LEE, MARGARET LEE, and AARON LEE.
7. JOEL LEE, born in 1816 N. C. marr JANE ATKINSON and CATHERINE CAUGHLIN. Children were: WILLIAM HENRY LEE, JAMES DAVID LEE, and RICHARD S. LEE. He died in Neshoba in 1861
8. AARON SUGGS LEE, born in 1818 was married to CAROLINE UNKNOWN and to ELVIRA HILL.. He was a captain in the CSA Army and lead a company of Neshoba men. Apparently there was no issue.
Jeff Kemp - State Coordinator
If you have questions or problems with this site, email the County Coordinator. Please do not ask for specfic research on your family. I am unable to do your personal research. I do not live in Neshoba Co., MS and do not have access to additional records.