Compiled by Charlie Deavers and submitted by Helen H. Wedgeworth
Howell Joel Wedgeworth & Wife Martha Morrow Wedgeworth
This was taken after the Civil War. She is the daughter of John Morrow & Mary Paulina English, of Lauderdale Co., MS.
Generation No. 1
1. HOWELL JOEL2 WEDGEWORTH (JOEL WALKER1) was born November 26, 1837 in Alabama, and died January 05, 1907 in buried Hester Cemetery, Neshoba Co. ,House, MS. He married (1) E. HEWINS 1852. She was born 1835 in South Carolina. He married (2) MARTHA MORROW September 07, 1865 in Lauderdale County, Mississippi, daughter of JOHN MORROW and MARY ENGLISH. She was born April 29, 1844 in Lauderdale Co, MS, and died August 09, 1920 in buried Hester Cemetery, Neshoba County, House, Mississippi.
Notes for HOWELL JOEL WEDGEWORTH:
U.S. Census on the 14 day of June 1870 in Lauderdale, Mississippi, family 243: Howell Wedgeworth, 33, M, Farm Laborer, $350 real estate, Alabama; Martha, 26, Mississippi; Margaret, 12, F; Dora, 4, F; Benjamin, 1, M.
U.S. Census on the 21 day of June 1880 in Lauderdale, Mississippi, family 179: H.J. Wedgeworth, M, 42, Farmer, Alabama; Martha, 37, wife, Keeping House, Mississippi; Sarah, 13, daughter; Benjamin, 11, son; Rubush, 9, son; John, 7, son; Ore, 5, son, Eddy, 3/12, son, Margaret Winstead, 22, daughter; Sim Winstead, 3, grandson; John Winstead, 6/12, grandson.
U.S. Census on the 22 day of June 1900 in Neshoba, Mississippi, family: Hob Wedgeworth, Head, 62, Married 35 years, Alabama; Martha, wife, 56, 6 children living, Mississippi; Edward, son, 20; Ora, daughter, 17.
Wife, Martha, made application for Civil War pension on August 10, 1908. She was denied the pension. She again made application on July 19, 1916 in Neshoba County, Post Office #6, Application #52.
More About HOWELL JOEL WEDGEWORTH:
Burial: Hester Cemetery, NeshobaCo., House, Mississippi
Enlisted in mil: July 23, 1861, 5th Reg. MS Infantry Company K, Enterprise, MS.
Military service: December 05, 1864, Howell Joel Wedgeworth was Captured at the Battle of Franklin, TN
Notes for MARTHA MORROW:
Mrs. Martha Wedgeworth made application for pension for her husband's Civil War service on 24th day of July 1908. She was 63 years old and a resident of, Neshoba, Mississippi. She stated that H.J. Wedgeworth enlisted August 1861 for 3 years and 5 months and that he was discharged at the close of the war from a military prison. She stated that he died on January the 5th 1907. She also stated that she own her own home and it was valued at $300 and that her son lived with her.
Again, Mrs. Martha Wedgeworth made application for a civil war pension on 19th day of July 1916. She was 72 years old and gave her address as Route 6, Union, Mississippi. She stated that her husband, H.J. Wedgeworth was enlisted in Company K of the 5th Mississippi under command of Col. Faut.
She stated that she did not own a home and she lives with her son. She says that she has six children who are "poor & have large families."
Mississippi Certificate of Death #20-21992 for Martha Wedgeworth as informed by H.R. Wedeworth: birthplace, Mississippi; father, John Morrow, South Carolina; mother, English, South Carolina; date of death, 8-9-1920; cause, senility.
Marriage Notes for HOWELL WEDGEWORTH and MARTHA MORROW:
H.J. Wedgeworth and David Morrow were held in bound in the penal sum of
$200 in Lauderdale County, Mississippi.
Child of HOWELL WEDGEWORTH and E. HEWINS is:
2. i. MARGARET JANE3 WEDGEWORTH, b. October 29, 1853, Lauderdale Co, MS.
Children of HOWELL WEDGEWORTH and MARTHA MORROW are:
3. ii. DORA3 WEDGEWORTH, b. July 24, 1866.
4. iii. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN WEDGEWORTH, b. March 07, 1869, Lauderdale Co, MS; d. October 08, 1947, Herbert Cemetery, Neshoba Co., House, MS.
5. iv. HOWELL RUBUSH WEDGEWORTH, b. January 10, 1871, Lauderdale County, Mississippi; d. September 30, 1947, Meridian, Lauderdale, Mississippi.
6. v. JOHN JOEL WEDGEWORTH, b. March 03, 1873, Lauderdale Co, MS; d. December 18, 1952, buried Hester Cemetery, Neshoba Co. ,House, MS.
vi. CHARLIE O.K. WEDGEWORTH, b. November 19, 1875.
vii. WILLIAM WEDGEWORTH, b. April 01, 1878.
viii. JOSEPH EDWARD WEDGEWORTH, b. March 31, 1880, Lauderdale Co, MS; d. December 15, 1942, buried Hester Cemetery, Neshoba Co. ,House, MS; m. ETTA MAE WILLIAMS, 1908, Lauderdale Co., MS; b. October 20, 1884, Neshoba Co., MS; d. May 02, 1928, buried Hester Cemetery, Neshoba Co. ,House, MS.
7. ix. ORA WEDGEWORTH, b. October 11, 1882, Lauderdale Co, MS; d. May 29, 1966, MS.
Generation No. 2
2. MARGARET JANE3 WEDGEWORTH (HOWELL JOEL2, JOEL WALKER1) was born October 29, 1853 in Lauderdale Co, MS. She married (1) J. B. WRIGHT. She married (2) JOHN F. WINSTEAD November 01, 1876 in Lauderdale Co., MS. He was born 1856 in Lauderdale Co, MS. She married (3) THOMAS W. WRIGHT April 19, 1882 in Lauderdale Co., MS. He was born May 12, 1856 in Mississippi.
Children of MARGARET WEDGEWORTH and JOHN WINSTEAD are:
i. H. SIM4 WINSTEAD, b. March 1878.
ii. JOHN FREEMAN WINSTEAD, b. February 23, 1879.
Children of MARGARET WEDGEWORTH and THOMAS WRIGHT are:
iii. OSCAR M.4 WRIGHT, b. April 1883.
iv. NED M. WRIGHT, b. August 22, 1886.
v. MARTHA ELSIE WRIGHT, b. April 1890.
3. DORA3 WEDGEWORTH (HOWELL JOEL2, JOEL WALKER1) was born July 24, 1866. She married JAMES M. HENLEY September 06, 1885 in Neshoba Co., MS. He was born June 02, 1857 in Mississippi.
Children of DORA WEDGEWORTH and JAMES HENLEY are:
i. WILLIAM F. "WILLIE"4 HENLEY, b. August 1886.
ii. LENA E. HENLEY, b. December 20, 1888.
iii. MARTHA A. "ANNIE" HENLEY, b. May 20, 1891.
iv. ORA HENLEY, b. August 1893.
v. HOMER S. HENLEY, b. March 08, 1897.
vi. MINNIE HENLEY, b. June 1898.
vii. J. HOWELL HENLEY, b. August 17, 1900.
viii. BESSIE HENLEY, b. 1903.
ix. FLORENCE HENLEY, b. 1905.
x. NORA HENLEY, b. 1905.
xi. J. B. HENLEY, b. December 20, 1909.
4. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN3 WEDGEWORTH (HOWELL JOEL2, JOEL WALKER1) was born March 07, 1869 in Lauderdale Co, MS, and died October 08, 1947 in Herbert Cemetery, Neshoba Co., House, MS. He married (1) MAGGIE J. MOTT 1891 in Mississippi, daughter of RANDOLPH MOTT and MARY UNKNOWN. She was born December 11, 1871 in Mississippi, and died September 02, 1903 in Herbert Cemetery, Neshoba Co., House, MS. He married (2) LILLIE MCDANIEL Aft. 1903. She was born April 05, 1882 in Mississippi, and died August 18, 1912 in Herbert Cemetery, House, Neshoba Co., MS. He married (3) DAISY MAE WARREN Abt. 1930 in Neshoba Co., MS. She was born 1897, and died 1988 in Sheridan, Ark..
More About BENJAMIN FRANKLIN WEDGEWORTH:
Burial: October 09, 1947, Daw's Funeral Home listing: Benjamin Franklin Wedgeworth; age 78; wife Daisy W., 50; residences, Dekalb; occupation, farmer; date of funeral, Oct. 9, 1947, thursday at 2:30PM; religion, Baptist; place of death was Matty Hersee hospital, Meridian, MS
Child of BENJAMIN WEDGEWORTH and DAISY WARREN is:
i. J C4 WEDGEWORTH, b. February 09, 1931, Mississippi; d. January 16, 1999, Eastabutchie, MS, Jones Co., at home., buried Herbert Cemetery, House, Neshoba Co., MS; m. (1) MARY NORMA RUSH, Abt. 1950; b. 1934; d. 1988, Tuscaloosa, AL, buried in Aliceville, AL
5. HOWELL RUBUSH3 WEDGEWORTH (HOWELL JOEL2, JOEL WALKER1) was born January 10, 1871 in Lauderdale County, Mississippi, and died September 30, 1947 in Meridian, Lauderdale, Mississippi. He married (1) FLORENCE LENORA PARTRIDGE January 30, 1894 in Philadelphia, Neshoba Co., MS, daughter of JOHN PARTRIDGE and MARY PARTRIDGE. She was born July 08, 1871 in Neshoba Co., MS. He married (2) MARY ALBINEY MCCRAW July 24, 1910 in Neshoba County, Mississippi, daughter of EDWIN MCCRAW and ALBINA CROCKER. She was born November 27, 1893 in Neshoba County, Mississippi, and died October 05, 1953 in Meridian, Lauderdale, Mississippi.
Notes for HOWELL RUBUSH WEDGEWORTH:
U.S. Census on the 5 day of June 1900 in Neshoba, Mississippi, family 18: Bush Wedgeworth, Head, 29, Married 6 years, Mississippi; Forence, wife, 28, 2 children living, Mississippi; Onie May, daughter, 5; Howel J., son, 10/12.
U.S. Census on the 14 day of May 1910 in Beat 3, Neshoba, Mississippi, family 302: R.H. Wedgeworth, Head, 37, Widowed, Mississippi; Tommy, son, 18.
U.S. Census on the 19 day of February 1920 in Beat 3, Neshoba, Mississippi, family 150: Howell R. Wedgeworth, Head, 49, Mississippi; Mary, wife, 26, Mississippi; Howell, son, 20; Naomi, daughter, 8; Laynina, daughter, 7; Giular, daughter, 5; Ruth, daughter, 2 8/12.
The following newspaper death notice for H.R. Wedgeworth appeared in Philadelphia, Neshoba, Mississippi:
Howell R. Wedgeworth, 79, native of Lauderdale county passed away in a Meridian hospital, Friday, after a brief illness. Born and reared in Lauderdale county Mr. Wedgeworth moved to the Herbert Springs community, Neshoba county many years ago, where he had operated his farm. He was a member of the Herbert Baptist Church and had been a deacon for the past 43 years. Mr. Wedgeworth is survived by his wife, five daughters, Mrs. Nona (Naomi) Phillips, Mrs. Laura (Layuna) Butler, Mrs. Guy Eula (Guyula) Early, Mrs. Ruth Manning, and Mrs. Ettie Mirian Nichonson; two sons, Howell Wedgeworth, Jr., and Joe Wedgeworth; one sister, Mrs. Floyd Culpepper and a brother, J.J. Wedgeworth. Funeral services were held from the Herbert Baptist Church, Saturday morning at eleven o'clock with Rev. E.A. Breland and Rev. A.N. Thomas, officiating.
Interment followed in the church cemetery. Pall bearers were Will Henley, Homer Henley, Willie Ray Wedgeworth, W.D. Carpenter, Herbert Hisaw, and Charley Culpepper.
More About HOWELL RUBUSH WEDGEWORTH:
Burial: October 01, 1947, Herbert Cemetery, Neshoba, Mississippi
Notes for MARY ALBINEY MCCRAW:
The following death notice appeared in the Meridian Star newspaper on
October 7, 1953: Funeral rites for Mrs. Mary Wedgeworth Mullinax of 13th St., who died Monday, were held at Herbert's Baptist church in Neshoba County Wednesday morning with the Rev. J.L. Morgan officiating assisted by the Rev. Howard Kilpatrick. Burial followed in the church cemetery.
The Neshoba Democrat filed the following death notice: Mrs. Mary A. Mullinax, age 59, died suddenly at her home in Meridian Monday afternoon.
She had been in ill health for some time, but was reported in good spirits and was talking with several relatives at the time of her passing. She was born and reared in the Herbert Springs community and lived there most of her life, and moved to Meridian a few years ago. Survivors besides her husband, Barney Mullinax, are daughters, Mrs. None Phillips, Mrs. W.E. Butler, Mrs. Gyula Early, Mrs. Ruth Manning, Mrs. Miriam Nicholson; sons, Harold and Joe Wedgeworth; brothers, William and John Wesley McCraw; half brothers, Aus E. and Jimmy Lee Farrow; 29 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.
More About MARY ALBINEY MCCRAW:
Burial: October 07, 1953, Herbert Baptist Cemetery, Neshoba, Misssissippi
Children of HOWELL WEDGEWORTH and FLORENCE PARTRIDGE are:
i. ONIE MAY4 WEDGEWORTH, b. March 20, 1895; d. November 08, 1908, Buried at Herbert Cemetery, House, Neshoba Co., MS.
ii. INFANT SON WEDGEWORTH, b. April 21, 1897; d. April 27, 1897.
iii. HOWELL JESSIE WEDGEWORTH, b. July 08, 1899; d. July 01, 1987, Buried at Herbert Cemetery, House, Neshoba Co., MS; m. ANNIE RUTH LIMERICK, September 04, 1920, Neshoba Co., MS; b. September 05, 1901; d. December 20, 1966, Buried at Herbert Cemetery, House, Neshoba Co., MS..
iv. JOSEPH GLENN WEDGEWORTH, b. October 18, 1902; d. August 15, 1903, Buried at Herbert Cemetery, House, Neshoba Co., MS.
Children of HOWELL WEDGEWORTH and MARY MCCRAW are:
v. MARTHA NAOMI "MAW MAW"4 WEDGEWORTH, b. July 03, 1911, Neshoba County, Mississippi; d. February 03, 1981, Meridian, Lauderdale, Mississippi; m. ALBERT ERNEST PHILLIPS, January 18, 1931, Neshoba Co., MS; b. December 08, 1893, Lauderdale Co, MS.
Notes for MARTHA NAOMI "MAW MAW" WEDGEWORTH:
Meridian Star: Services for Mrs. Martha Naomi Phillips, 69, of 206 23rd Ave., will be held Thursday at 2:30 p.m. in Herbert Baptist Church. The Rev. Phillip Gandy and Rev. W.E. Butler will officiate, burial to be in the church cemetery under direction of Stephens Funeral Home. Mrs. Phillips, who died Tuesday in Meridian Regional Hospital, was a member of Herbert Baptist Church. Survivors include four daughters, Mrs. Jo Ann Hall, Mrs. Onie Mae Deavers, Mrs. Mary Florence Reed, and Mrs. Martha Jane Tolbert, all of Meridian; three sons, Ernest Rubust Phillips, Lutts, Tenn., Raymond Earl Phillips, Meridian, and Jimmy Edward Phillips, San Diego, Calif.; 14 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren; three sisters, Mrs. Launa Butler, Union, Mrs. Gyula Johnson, Meridian, and Mrs. Miriam Nicholson, Olean, N.Y.; and two brothers, Howell Wedgeworth, Meridian, and Joe Wedgeworth, Union. Visitation will be after 4 p.m. today at Stephens Funeral Home.
More About MARTHA NAOMI "MAW MAW" WEDGEWORTH:
Burial: Herbert Baptist Cemetery, Neshoba, Mississippi
6. JOHN JOEL3 WEDGEWORTH (HOWELL JOEL2, JOEL WALKER1) was born March 03, 1873 in Lauderdale Co, MS, and died December 18, 1952 in buried Hester Cemetery, Neshoba Co. ,House, MS. He married ELLEN J. PARTRIDGE 1895 in Mississippi, daughter of JOHN PARTRIDGE and MARY PARTRIDGE. She was born February 21, 1874 in Neshoba Co., MS, and died January 03, 1918 in buried Hester Cemetery, Neshoba Co. ,House, MS.
Children of JOHN WEDGEWORTH and ELLEN PARTRIDGE are:
i. MARY A4 WEDGEWORTH, b. September 1896.
ii. RUBY WEDGEWORTH, b. 1903; m. LEVI LIMERICK, April 18, 1917, Neshoba Co., MS.
7. ORA3 WEDGEWORTH (HOWELL JOEL2, JOEL WALKER1) was born October 11, 1882 in Lauderdale Co, MS, and died May 29, 1966 in MS. She married JOSEPH FLOYD CULPEPPER November 02, 1904 in Mississippi. He was born 1877 in Alabama.
Jeff Kemp - State Coordinator
If you have questions or problems with this site, email the County Coordinator. Please do not ask for specfic research on your family. I am unable to do your personal research. I do not live in Neshoba Co., MS and do not have access to additional records.