Submitted & researched by Len E. Reinker.
Click on the picture for a larger view.
My Nash family is from Neshoba County. My g.g.g.grandparents Lucy (Mullin) and Ira Norris Nash settled in the northeastern part of the county in 1839. In Neshoba county, they were one of the founding families of New Hope Baptist church in the Bond Community... and Ira represented Neshoba County in the Mississippi State Legislature in the mid-late 1840s. I am descended from their eldest child, John Jasper Newton Nash (see photo composite of his family). Below is some family information on the Ira and Lucy Nash's family... I would be glad
to hear from any other descendants of this family:
Children of Ira Norris Nash (1805 - 1877) and Lucy Mullin (1807 - 1863)...
1. John Jasper Newton Nash. CSA Vet, (Oct 24, 1829 - Aug 29, 1912), m. Aug 5, 1852 to Mary M.M. Baker (May 15, 1833- April 7, 1908), their children were:
a. Lucy Melvina "Bine" Nash (Aug 19, 1853 - May 30, 1897), m. Rev.
Robert Moses "R.M." Woodruff who was the widower of her younger sister Euginia.
b. Charlottie Euginia Nash (Aug 6, 1855 - Aug 31, 1879), m. Rev. "R.M."
Woodruff (then Minister at New Hope Baptist Church in Bond.
c. Elvira "Ella" Leanora Nash (May 15. 1858 - Oct 18, 1941) m. William Daniel "Bill" Germany (two of five children lived to adulthood: Reginald N. and Hillmon L. Germany).
d. Mary Elizabeth Nash, (July 6, 1860 - Oct 11, 1875).
d. Eliza Stella Maudenia "Maud" Irene Nash (march 11, 1870 - June 28, 1896) …married John Henry Cook (two sons Rupert and James Cook)
e. Fanny Ida Nash (June 16, 1875 - March 23, 1877).
2. Charles Albert Nash, CSA Vet of Co B, 5th Regt MS Inf and Co D, 11th
Regiment, MS Infantry ( b. circa 1831, d. 1913), married Eliza J. Booth of Neshoba County. their children were:
a. Lucy A. Nash ( b. circa 1853), married Marian Shaw of Yalabusha
b. Sedonia Imogene "Donie" Nash ( b. circa 1856), married (1) Walter Martin and (2) Calvin Barlow.
c. William Walter Nash (b. 1860) married Lizzie Reagan of Lafayette
County, they had one daughter, Maud (Nash) Gordon/Levington who lived in Los Angeles, CA.
d. Ira M. Nash II (b. circa 1863) married (1) Miss McGowan? and 2. Ora Xxxxxx; they moved to Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma... and some of their children moved to California.
e. Addie Lorena Nash (b. circa 1866) married John R. Potts of Lafayette County, MS.
f. Gussie Lee Nash (born circa 1878) married (1) Mr. Gillespie and (2)
Mr. Bailey. (Note: Charles and Eliza J. Nash moved their family from Neshoba County to Clarke County in late 1860s... then to Lafayette County, Mississippi and finally to Memphis, Tennessee by late 1880s)
3. Martha Malinda Belinda Nash (b. circa 1833, d. Unk) m. Mr. Thomas B. Jones (b. circa 1829, d. Unk) son of Dr. John B. Jones of Neshoba County; their children included:
a. Carriedora Jones, (b. 1856), married Mr. M.C. Smythe of Winston
County; their daughter Willie Ira Smythe married a Mr. Caperton also of Winston County.
b. Lucy E. Jones (b. 1858)
c. John Ira Jones (b. circa 1859) moved to Texas and married there.
d. Belinda G. Jones (b. 1861)
e. Elvira L. Jones (b. 1863), married (1) Mr. J.S. Lumbly and (2) Mr.
f. Thomas M. Jones (b. 1864)
g. Oragan "Ora" Jones (b. 1868) married Elijah Shaw
h. Irene M. Jones (born 1872), married Mr. W. E. Smith and moved to
i. Cephus Jones (born 1879)
4. Francis "Fannie" A. Nash (b. circa 1836, d. after 1900). , married Mr.
Ben F. Hunt. son of Judge William Hunt of Neshoba County, Fannie and Ben moved to Gonzales, Texas in 1862/63 and were living in Cotilla, Texas in 1880s:
a. Levenia "Vennie" Hunt (born circa 1861) married Mr. James E. Ware in Waelder, Texas.
b. Anna Hunt (born circa 1864), married Mr. John P. Davis in Waelder, Texas later lived in El Paso.
5. Elvira E. Nash ( b. circa 1938, d. early 1884), m. Mr. Smith of Lafeyette County), Note: I have copies of several letters that Elvira wrote to various Nash cousins in during the 1870's, and genealogical data dictated by her father, Ira Norris Nash in 1876.
6. Ira Marion Nash, CSA, (b. circa 1841, mortally wounded on the morning of April 6th, 1862 at Battle of Shiloh... Ira was in same company as elder brother J. J. N. Nash who was wounded on the same morning.
7. Oregon "Ora" L. Nash, (b. circa 1844, d. 1927?) m. Mr. Thaddeus W.
Markett of Lafayette County; their children were:
a. William Markette, married a Miss Banard.
b. Burney Markette
c. Eula Markette, married (1) Mr. Xxxxxx, and (2) Mr. Larkin, lived in
Lake Charles, LA.
d. Della Markette, married a Mr. J.P.Henry in sharkey county, MS, and moved to Louisiana
e. May Markette, married Mr. Brash Banard.
f. Vera Markette
Note: After T.W. Markette died in early 1880s, Ora later married a Mr. Smith in Lafeyette County (her sister Elvira's widower).
8. Dr. Stephen Perry "Com" Nash, (b. circa 1847, d. 1929), m. Miss Sarah Simmons whose father was a sheriff in Neshoba County. Moved to Decater, Texas by late 1880s. Children:
a. Charles Perry Nash, had one son LTC Charles Cate Nash
b. Dr. Ira E. Nash
c. Willie Mae Nash, never married.
9. Pernicia Irene "Sis" Nash (b. circa 1853, d. Unk) m. Mr. William
Cohen/Cowan who was a school teacher in Loundes County, then in the 1880s she married Mr. J.T. Alexander of Neshoba County. Children: at least one daughter: Maude Cowan born around 1879.
* Ira Norris Nash and wife Lucy (Mullin) Nash... Lucy died in 1863.
* John Jasper Newton Nash (also photos of children and grandchildren)
* Charles A. Nash (also his wife and all of their children and some
* Francis A. (Nash) Hunt ... and photos of her two daughters.
* Elvira E. Nash (died 1884)
* Ira Marion Nash (died 1862),
* Pernicia Irene "Sis" (Nash) Cowan/Alexander.
* Dr. Stephen "Com" Perry Nash, his wife and children
* Several photos of Ora L. (Nash) Markette's children and grandchildren.
* Several photos of Martha M. B. (Nash) Jones's children and grandchildren.
* a possible photo of either Ora Nash or her sister Martha M. B. Nash...
labeled by my grandmother only as "my Aunt".
Any descendants of Ira and Lucy Nash, or anyone with old photos of this family, should contact:
Len E. Reinker. ph: 330-329-7329 or 216-795-3064
... or write: Len Reinker, c/o 244 Spell Road, Kent, Ohio 44240
Jeff Kemp - State Coordinator
If you have questions or problems with this site, email the County Coordinator. Please do not ask for specfic research on your family. I am unable to do your personal research. I do not live in Neshoba Co., MS and do not have access to additional records.