Tinsley Family History
THE HISTORY AND GENEALOGY OF THE TINSLEY FAMILY
FROM ENGLAND TO MISSISSIPPI AND BEYOND
submitted by Sean Tinsley
THE ORIGIN OF THE TINSLEY SURNAME
The English surname Tinsley is of local orgin, being of that category of surnames derived from the place where original bearer once liced or held land. In this instance, the name is traceable to the old English term "leah" meaning "meadow" and the old English personal name personal name Tynne. Thus Tinsley simply denotes one who was a "dweller at Tynne’s meadow". This name may also have been used to refer to one who was a native of Tinsley, a chapelry in the parish of Rotherham in the west riding region of Yorkshire. In the ancient time, before the advent of the strucured surname system, it was common practise to use a man’s place of adode as a covenient means of identification. The suffix "ley" forms part of many English toponymic surnames, such as Shipley (Sheep’s meadow) and Kingsley (King’s meadow), as is confirmed by the old adage "In ford, in ham, in ley, and ton the most of the English surnames run"
References to this name in written record may be found as early as the 14th century. In 1372, one Lecia de Tyneslawe was noted in the "poll tax" for Yorkshire and in 1648, the occasion of William Scriven’s marrage to Amye Tinsley is mentioned in the documents relating to the church of St. James in Clerkenwell. Bearers of this surname today chiefly found in the countys of Lancashire and Lincolnshire in England.
Blazon of arms: Argent of Chevron between 3 wolves’ heads erased gules.
Translation: The wolf denotes one who strives long and hard to achieve his objectives. The chevron is a symbol of protection. It is held to represent the roof-tree of a building and may have been granted to one who had built a church or fortress.
HISTORY OF TINSLEY, ENGLAND
Tinsley and the area around it are very ancient. We don’t know of its precise origins but we do have record of it in the famous Doomsday Book of 1086 and that the manner was given to the Norman Roger of Bully in 1066 after the Norman Conquest of England. It was one of dozens of manors dependent on his castle ten miles to the east at Tickhill. It consisted of a small village, a chapel, and ancient forest called Tinsley Wood.
As I have said it was dependent on Roger’s castle at Tickhill but it had an interesting Tenure attached to it? Every year at Michaelmas its owner had to take a pair of white gloves to the lord of Tickhill, and receive a hawk to keep over the winter. This was problally a hanger over from Anglo-Saxon days, as similar arrangements can be found in the pages of the Doomsday Book.
There is a stone Victorian church that stands in Tinsley but it only dates back to 1877. The previous church was either torn or burned down. After the Victorians had destroyed the ancient chapel of Tinsley in 1877 nothing was left of the original church. There is however an old engraving in the vestry which gives the idea what the building had been like - clearly late Saxon or Norman. It could have dated back to the Anglo-Saxon days before the conquest or just after. Local tradition suggest there was a wooden church there before and it age is unknown but must have been very old. The name of the church at Tinsley is called St. Laurence. It was named after a very popular Old English saint. He appears in many pre-conquest litanies and prayer books. Laurence’s intercession was especially invoked in war. He was a martial saint.
Another interesting thing about Tinsley is even though it was not a royal manor it received a royal stipend up until the 1847. In the Middle Ages, the chapel had received a royal stipend for the performance of a special chantry service - a service for the dead. At he time of the Reformation, this service was recorded by the King Henry VIII’s commissioners, with a cantarist (probably the vicar himself), and a small annual value arising from the land and tithe. It was put down by royal act in the first year of Edward VI’s reign. However, the chapel was not then converted to secular use, but carried on as an outliner of Rotherham parish church, performing the care of the souls, as it was said in 1546. What is interesting about this is the stipend continued long after the Reformation. As late as the 17th century, as a letter of Oct. 18, 1660 showed, the king paid the minister at Tinsley ‘a stipend heretofore and always allowed to the said chapel’. This subsequently lapped and was renewed in 1710, in 1718, and again in 1818. It stooped in 1847.
It is also interesting that the king held seven bocates of land attacked to the manor at Tinsley. This small parcel or parcels can hardly have added up to more than hundred acres. They lie on White Hill within Brinsworth parish: two of them are tiny, each of them are tiny the size of a small field but comprises about 80 acres around White Hill Farm, close to the old manor house of Brynesford. Sometimes such pieces of land can be relics of very ancient tenurial arrangements.
Concerning the naming of the church ‘St. Lawrence brings me to the theory that Michael Wood explores in his book ‘In Search of England’. In the book he speaks of a great battle that took place in the 8th or 9th century called the Battle of Brunanburh. This great battle is mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and Irish, Welsh, and Pictish annals. There is old English plays and old English lititure that speaks of this battle. In Michael Wood explores the theory that battle could have taken place on White Hill near Tinsley and Brinsworth.
In the 1950’s excavation showed there was a Roman road north from Derby to Castleford and York, Riknald Street, went right over White Hill at Brinsworth, crossing the Don at an ancient ford by the Roman fort of Templeborough. This area has lots of traditions of the Romans and Britons: the Roman Rig, the Roman Fort, and according to Dorothy Green, a Roman Temple on White Hill. She is stalwart of the local history society and has done some excavations in the area.
In that same area was an ancient forest that no one knows how old it is. There is no record of who planted it or when it was planted. It is safe to assume it was a partial survival of an Anglo-Saxon forest. It was decried in the Doomsday Book of 1086 as:
In Tinsley in 1066 Ulchel, Agemund and Archil had five carucates (units) of land for tax, where four ploughs can be. Now Roger (de Busli- the new Norman lord) has one villein (semi-freemen) and three spokesmen (freemen) They’re with one plough, and the share of one mill, and then acres of meadow. Pasturable woodland one league in length and eight furlongs wide. In the time time of King Edward it was worth four pounds, now twenty shillings.
In 1831 it was still the southern part of the wood was still a mile across and took the shape of a butterfly. By 1963 you could see where it had been. It marked by a long line of trees between a farm field and a golf course. Today due the growth of Sheffield and the Industrialization of the area not much is left great forest except a few lines of trees.
As with all things all things change. If you go to Tinsley today it would not resemble the quiet peaceful farming community that it once was. Tinsley is located only a few miles from Sheffield England in the state of Yorkshire. Its Tinsley close proximity to the city, which may have caused its distraction. The Victorian church and cemetery and a few small lanes still exist. The wonderful thing about history is it never ends it continuous in the lives of those who carry on.
This just a summery of the information taken from a book called ‘In Search of England Journeys into the English Past’ by Michael Wood. It speaks of more historic places and people of old England. It can be purchased from any major bookstore or off any of the major Internet bookstores for about 20 dollars.
There is a question of our name and where is came from. I have been told that Tinsley means "field of tin". In that ‘ley’ in old English means field. There are some ancient dikes in the area that dates back to the Bronze Age. Perhaps our name comes from that. Who knows? But one thing I do believe is it came it came from this very historic area.
SOME OF THE PEOPLE OF TINSLEY, ENGLAND
The following account describes the origin of the Tinsley family name can be found in reference "Yorkshire Notes and Queries and Folk, vol. 1 page 221. Hallam, Middle Ages, Chapter 2, Page 2." Reference also made to "collection of Names of Nobility from Yorkshire England" by Thomas Robson. No dates are given in the data to follow but it is mentioned
That the Tinsley Coat of Arms because hereditary (heraldry) in the time of Henry III (1216-1273).
1. Roger Magerolles, Lord of Tinsloo, married Eune Busby, dau. Of Roger Bushby and had
>William Magerolles, Lord of Tinsloo, son and heir of Roger, married and had
>Godose (a) Magerolles married Sir William Brette.
>Beatrice Magerolles married William Londoner, alias Tinsley, Lord of Tinsloo
>William Londoner, Gentleman, married and had:
>William Londoner II, Lord of Tinsloo, married and had:
>Adam Londoner, alias Breroke, married and had:
>Sir Henry Tinsley
Betryce Magerolles’ husband, William Londoner, took the name of his wife, Tinsley of Tinsloo. She was probably married later than her sister was and perhaps not as young when she married as there is another generation of Brettes.
The coat of arms described by Robson is: A Chevron between 3 wolves heads, erased. Burk’s Heraldry gives the same later stork is found on the coat of arms as a crest. The motto: Sine Labe Fides. Translation: Faith without Dishonor
Tinsley of Tinsley
The United Kingdom Tinsleys
The family of Tinsley, Tineslawe or tynslow is very ancient. The arms - a chevron between 3 wolves (or foxes) heads, erased gules - have borne by the family for many generations.
The village of Tinsley is 2 miles from Rotherham, Yorkshire. King William the Conqueror (1066-87) gave the manor of Tinsley to Roger de Busli, and it became a dependence of his castle in Tickhill, Yorkshire. In the twelfth century, Henry de Tinsley, who had to visit Tickhill castle, every Michaelmas, bringing a pair of white gloves, and receiving a hawk in return, held the manor. The Tinsley family held the manor till about the middle of the eighteenth century.
A female of the direct line having marred a member of the Wentworth family, the estates passed to the Wentworths, who thenceforward, quartered arms with the Tinsleys. Their descendants, the Wentworth-Fitzwilliams, into whose possession the estate passed, continue to bear the quartered arms to this day.
The other branch of the family, whom, it appears, had no legal claim upon the estate, continued to live at Tinsley until the late eighteenth century. The manor and estate having passed to the Wentworths, and the elder male member of the Tinsleys having married a second wife, led to general dispersion of the children of the first marriage.
In the late eighteenth century Henry Cole Tinsley moved to Holbeach, Lincolnshire. Another member went to America, of whom all trace as been lost. Henry Cole Tinsley became a landowner and farmer and lived in Holbeach on an estate, which he acquired, until the time of his death. Various branches of the Tinsley family live and or own land in the Holbeach area today.
Source: Burke’s, Genealogies of the Families of Great Britain.
The source of this information lives in England and can be reached at: HenryTinsley@Compuserve.com
The First Immigrant - Thomas Tinsley Ixxxx (1618-1702)
Thomas Tinsley, emigrant and primogenitor of the Tinsley family in America, was born circa 1618, in Yorkshire, England. Early research indicates that he married Elizabeth Randolph.
Thomas arrived in Jamestown, Virginia Colony, in 1638, his transportation furnished by John Robins of James City County. (1) In early land documents his name is spelled virtuously by scribes and copyist as Thomas Tilsley (1638), Thomas Tilsey (1650), and Thomas Tinslie (1655). (2) Before he owned any land, Thomas Tinsley lived on a creek that was then know as Moses Run. On February 7, 1650 Philip Charles was granted 450 acres on the west side of the Chickahominy River upon Moses Run and described as next above Thomas Tinsley. (3)
The first patent of land to Thomas Tinsley was issued December 13, 1650, by Sir William Berjekey, colonial governor, for 300 acres upon Moses Run, on the west side of chickahominy River in James City County, VA. The grant was described as bounded west by north upon the Run: south by west upon the land of Mr. Theodore Moses: east by north upon Mr. Foyes land: and north by west upon the woods. The said land was granted unto Thomas Tinsley for paying the price of passage from England to the colony for emigrants Robert Arwin, Milliscent Thompson, Walter Villecott, Abraham Watson, Thomas Sawer, and Elin. Faning.(4)
By 1662 Thomas Tinsley had bought 300 more acres of land from Martin Baker, on the south side of the York River in New Kent County. (5)
patent was issued to John Bowman on May 15, 1672, for 108 acres "on the north side of James River on the west side of Chickahominy river adjoining to Thomas Tinsley."(6)
On February 28, 1689, Thomas Tinsley was involved in the remarking of his land in St. Peter’s Parish, and during the year helped "Cleere the roads in his prescinct...up the north side of Totopotomoys Creeke."(7)
Thomas Tinsley built his home on Totopotomoy Creek, formerly known as Moses Run, 12 miles north of the present site of Richmond. This creek, enclosing a peninsula in the present Hanover County, was named for Totopotomou (d.1656), chief of the Pamunkey Indians and a successor to Powhata. The ancestral place of the Tinsley family, called "Totomoi", still remains in the possession of descendants. (8)
The first westward expedition in 1669 of John Lederer, the German traveler and explorer, to find a passage through the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, passed through the immediate vicinity where Thomas Tinsley lived. The narrative of the journey mentions Totopotomoy, who had been killed some thirteen years previously, and also describes the killing nearby of a wildcat: "The nest day falling into Marsh grounds between Pemaeoncock (York River) and the head of the River Matapeneugh, the Heaviness of the way obliged me to cross Pemaeoncoek, where its north and south - brank (called Ackmick) join in one. In the peninsula make by these two branches, a great Indian King called Tottopottoma was slain in battle, fighting for the Christians against the Mahocks and Nahyssans, from wence it retains his name to this day. Travelling throw the woods, a does seized by a wild cat crossed our way: the miserable creature being even spent and breathless with the burden and cruelly of her rider, who having fastened on her shoulder, left not a sucking out her blood until she sunk under him; which one the Indians perceiving, let fly a lucky arrow, which piercing him throw the belly, make him quit his prey already slain, and turn with a terrible grimas at us; but his strength and sprits falling him, we escaped his revenge, which had verdantly ensued, were not his would mortal. This creature is something bigger than our English fox, of a reddish grey color, and in figure every way agreeing with an ordinary cat; fierce, ravenous and cunning."(9)
Thomas Tinsley was an extensive planter. He shipped tobacco to England and imported domestic luxuries and clothing. (10)
Virginia history states that he was a man of high esteem, great influence, and courage. (11)
Thomas Tinsley took part in Bacon’s Rebellion in 1676, the opening gun of the long struggle for American independence. One seat of discontent preceding the rebellion was Tblisland Parish, mother parish of St. Peters in James City and New Kent Counties. Tinsley signed the Vlisland Parish Grievances, dated April 2, 1677, a document list a number of apparitions of the British government under Sir Eillian Berkeley that led to the rebellion. The paper was presented to 3 royal commissioner sent from England to the colony to investigate the armed revolt. Included in the complaints were high taxes, Indian murders and depredations, executions of sheriffs, selling of strong drink during court days and duties levied on ships. Signer of the grievances, distraught over having to obtain arms by any means, also made a plea for an arms magazine. (12)
An attachment of 900 lbs. of tobacco was granted against the estate of Thomas Tinsley in Essex County, June 21, 1699, for his failure to appear in defense of court suit initiated by Robert Payne. (13)
In his will, Thomas Tinsley left his eldest son Thomas Tinsley "one young gray stoned colt branded TT." (14)
This brand, used by him in seventeenth century Virginia, was one to the first in what is now the United States. His use of this ownership mark was 100 years before burned brands had come into limited use by the end of the 18th century. George Washington burned "G.W." on his cattle, the position on the animal indicating the plantation where they were pastured. (15)
Thomas Tinsley followed the English custom of naming the first born son after the father, with this son inheriting the bulk of the estate.
His will is dated October 9, 1700, New Kent County, Virginia. Witnesses were Richard Meriwether, Jeremiah Pope, and John Oaks. It was recorded in 1702, in New Kent County, upon the corporal oaths of Nicholas Meriwether and Hohn Oaks. (18)
(1) Greer, George Cabell (Clerk of the Virginia Land Office). Early Virginia Immigrants, 1623-1666. W.C. Hill Printing Co., Richmond, VA 1912, p.239
(2) Cavaliers and Pioneers, Abstracts of Virginia Land Grants 1623-1800. Vol. 1, 1623-1666. Abstracted and Indexed by Nell Marion Nugent. Baltimore, Md. 1963.pp.103, 204, 211-212, 323, 471.
(3) Patents Issued During the Tegal Government. James City County Book No. 2, p.307. (in) William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine.
Vol. x, No. 2, October 1901. p. 98
(4) Patents No., 1643-1651. Reel 2, Virginia State Library. P. 271.
(5) Cavaliers and Pioneers. Op. cit., p. 471
(6) Patents Issued During the Tegal Government, James City County Book no. 6, p. 403 (in) William and Mary College Quartly Historical Magazine vol. XII, No. 1, July, 1903. P.23.
(7) Chamberlayne, C.G., Trans. and Ed., The Vestry Book and Register of St. Peter’s Parish, New Kent and James City Counties, Virginia, 1684-1786. Richmond, VA 1937. PP, 89.
(8) Virkus, Frederick A., Ed., The Abridged Compendium of American Genealogy. F. A. Virkus & Co., Chicago, Ill. Vol. 111.1928. P.44.
(9) Lederer, John. The Discoveries of John Lederer, in three several marches from Virginia, to the wars of Carolina, and other parts of the Continent: begun in Match 1669, and ended in Sep 1670. Coil and Trans. by Sir William Talbot baronet printed by J.C. for Samuel Heyrick, at Grays-Innegate in Holborn. London. 1672. Pp. 4-8.
(10) Brock, R. A. (Secretary of the Virginia Historical Society and the Southern Historical Society), The Tinsley Family". Virginia Cousins, by George Brown Goode. Richmond, VA 1887. P. 212 (footnote).
(11) The Tinsleys of Virginia. (Unpublished Manuscript). Compiled by Walter R. Tinsley, Roanoke, VA. (1938).
(12) Chamberlane, C.G., Trans. and Ed., The Vestry Book of Blisland (Blissland) Parish, New Kent and James City counties, VA, 1721-1786. Richmond, VA 1935. Pp. xlii-xlvii.
(13) Ellex County Orders 1695-1699. (Transcript). Reel 65. Virginia State Library. p. 165.
(14) Will of Thomas (1) Tinsley, the emigrant. "Virginia records". District of Columbia Genealogical Records Committee, USDAR> 1945-46. Pp. 1-3.
(15) Laing, Weasley N., "Cattle in Seventeenth-Century Virginia", Virginia Magazine of History and Biography. Vol. 67, No. 2, April 1959. p. 160 (footnote).
(16) Will of Thomas (1) Tinsley, The Emigrant. Op. cit.
THOMAS TINSLEY married ELIZABETH RANDOLPH (1618-1702)They are buried at St. Peters Church in Hanover Co. This church pre-dates the revolutionary war.
They had five children:
1. Thomas Tinsley II, married Martha Ragland (Raglan)
2. John Tinsley
3. Cornelius Tinsley married (unknown) and had 5 children:
1. Betty Tinsley
2. Agnes Tinsley
3. John Tinsley
4. Rachel Tinsley
5. Thomas Tinsley married Frances Bickley
4. Alice Tinsley married Seward
5. Scucely (Sicly/ Cicily) Tinsley married Jennings
6. Ann Tinsley married Tyler
7. Mary Tinsley
THOMAS TINSLEY married MARTHA RAGLAND
son of Thomas Tinsley I
(1638 - 1716)
They are buried also at St. Peters Church in Hanover Co., VA
They had 5 children:
1. Thomas Tinsley III married Sara Parks
2. John Tinsley
3. Rachel Tinsley
4. Martha Tinsley
5. Bettie Tinsley
THE TINSLEY FAMILY AND RELATED FAMILY MIGRATION FROM GEORGIA THROUGH ALABAMA THEN ONWARD
The first authentic record we have of this branch of the Tinsley starts with the information on the tombstones of John and Martha (Bonner) Tinsley, which is located in the southwest section of Kemper Co., MS this is found in T9, Range 16, Section 10. John’s states that he was born in Jones Co., GA April 16, 1797 and died Oct. 27, 1872. Martha’s states she was born in Jefferson Co., GA on Jan. 16, 1803 and died Mar. 19, 1873.
However Jones County was not formed until 1807 so it is assumed that John was born in a county that later formed Jones County. Jones was formed from Putnam, Baldwin, and Bibb countys. So one of these may have been the place of birth. In the Georgia Genealogical Magazine. Fall issue of 1970. There is a notice of a sale of land from a widow Mary Tinsley, who is probably the mother of John Tinsley. this is listed in Jones County, GA, Deed Book A, page 185 and 186.
Jan 17, 1809 Mary Tinsley of Jones County to Jesse Cox of same for $400 for 101 1/4 acres, 1/2 of lot 181 in 6th District, Drawn by said Mary Tinsley, a widow signed Mary Tinsley. Wit: Ichabod Cox, Buton Embry, Isham Hopkins. She may have drawn this in the 1805 or 1807 land lotteries. In the 1805, there is a record of a Mary Tinsley (widow) #708 who drew 2 blanks in Jefferson County GA. A John Tinsley #682 drew two blanks in the same Lottery. And a Keziah Tinsley #675 drew one blank in the same lottery. This is probably our Mary and our John Tinsley who was a minor orphan, father dead and mother not remarried.
On July 3, 1799 a list of petit jurors to serve for the ensuing year for Jefferson County, we find the names of John Tinsley #184 and Thomas TInsley #190. This leads us to believe that John Tinsley and Thomas Tinsley were brothers, with Mary being the widow of John and Keziah, the widow of Thomas. Both brothers must have died around 1800. On the list of wills for Jefferson County, Inferor Court, Feb. 4, 1800 Keziah was an applicant for 1. of a. and the app: on applying to him and giving such security as may be approved by any member of the court. (Ga. Gen. Mag., Page 174. Spring 1971 and page 78). In Captain John Gibson’s District of 1811 Tax Digest of Jones Co. GA is a list:
Gabreil Howell 202 1/2 acres
This is probably John Tinsley, the minor son of John and Mary Tinsley.
Note: the inventory of Hubbard Bonner’s Estate in 1814 menions a square of land in lot 201, Dist. 6 which would show that Martha Bonner’s father lived close to Mary Tinsley, who owned lot 181 in 6 dist.
Also in the 1811 Tax Digest of Jones County is listed Mary Tinsley as owning 101 1/2 acres of land granted to Tinsley, adjoining Cox on Commissioners Creek. This would be the same Mary Tinsley, as mentioned in the 1809 land sale. Her acreage is also close to that of "Joseph Bonner for Uriah Bonner". Joseph was Marthia Bonner’s Grandfather, and Uriah Bonner was her Uncle.
At the settlement of Hubbard Bonner’s Estate, inventoried April 18 1814, Jones County, Gray, GA. In the court of the Ordinary, the heirs are: Rachel Bonner and her five children, Elizabeth, Martha, William, Henry, and Reuben Bonner. However at he July term of court in 1818, the only orphans of Hubbard Bonner are the three boys, William N, Henry H, and Reuben M. Bonner. Elizabeth had married Elias Taylor in 1815, and Martha had married John Tinsley Sept 9, 1817 (from the Bible of Algene Tinsley). The three boys were wards of their older sister, Elizabeth, after their mother death in 1821. In the meantime, Rachel (Magee) Bonner had married Elias Taylor’s father, Moses Taylor.
Elizabeth and Elias Taylor took the three boys down to Butler County, AL, where John and Martha Tinsley must have already migrated, about 1818. Mrs. Birl Talley, 20935 Losust Drive, Aldercroft Hifhts, Los Gatos, California 95030 gave this information.
"The Index to the Tract Books, published by the Butler County Historical Society, show that the John TInsley Associates took up land north of Greenville, AL in 1818 and that John Tinsley voted in the 1820 election. Many of the associates were made up of related adults who may have wanted to live on adjoining tracks and or pooled their resources to acquire more than the 40 acre plots that the government sold to individuals for a minimum fee. One Thomas Tinsley took up land in the above area in 1831, and he is the only Tinsley listed in the badly faded Butler County Census of ????. 1 male 30-40, 1 female 20-30, and the only boxes marked clearly for children show 1 boy and 1 girl each 5-10. This is probaly John’s brother Thomas, who shows up in Kemper Co. MS in 1850 census as age 52 born in GA.
There are also two John Tinsleys listed on 1820 censuses of GA, One was in Washington Co. #140 no twp listed, and the other in Putnam Coutny #97.
Anyway this family connection of Wades, Taylors, Bonners, and Tinsley’s all migrated to Butler County at about the same time. Most of them stayed a brief time, migrated on to Miss., and some on to Texas.
Included in an article form the Greenville Advocate, June 18, 1874 by J. C. Wade, on Butler County Reminiscences. He describes the life in the county from the time his father and his family left Macon, GA. and came to his destination, two and half miles south of Fort dale. Four miles northwest of Greenville: copy’s included.
The connection of Wades with Bonners and Tinsleys comes in through the marriage of William N. Bonner (Martha’s brother) and Mary Ellen Wade, daughter of Micajah Wade, and sister of Jim Wade. They married in 1825 in Butler Co. AL. They moved on to Yazoo Co., MS and on to Holmes Co., MS, and ending up in Cherokee, Texas.
the Hartley connection came through the marriage of Reuben McGee Bonner (Martha’s brother) to Eliza Bexley Hartly, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Bexley) Hartley, who came to Butler Co. AL before 1819 from Putnam Co. GA. The Hartley Associates bought the old abandoned Fort Dale, North of Greenville, from the U.S. Government. They moved on to Texas, living in Waco, Palestine, and Whitney in Hill Co. Texas. Reuben and Mary married in Butler Co. in 1830.
Martha (Bonner) Tinsley other brother, Henry Hubbard Bonner married Sara Homes in Butler Co. in 1849. Sarah’s father and mother were James and Matilda (Cox) Homes, who had come to Butler before 1819. Henry and Sarah moved from from AL to Kemper County MS where they were neighbors of John and Martha Tinsley on the 1840 census. Then they moved on to Jefferson Co. Texas, by 1849, and then to Upshur Co., Texas.
The reasons these locations are given, some of the Tinsleys may have moved on to Texas with their relatives. Elizabeth and Elias Taylor stopped in Holmes Co., MS, and Martha and John Tinsley stoped in Kemper Co., MS.
Other Tinsley Information:
*I am doing research to find who the father of John Henry Tinsley is and to find the link Between Thomas Tinsley of 1618 and John Henry Tinsley of 1797. I have some theories but know concrete information. If you have any knowledge that could help in this search I Would be thankful. As this information is found I will be updating this Document.
I have come across information about this Green Tinsley. I am not sure if he is a brother or cousin to John Henry Tinsley. He was born about 1799 in Georgia. Apparently he was of close relations to John Henry because he followed the same path to Mississippi and ended up living in Kemper Co., MS about the same time as John Henry and his family. Though he later settled in Claiborne Parish, LA. Around the town of Haynesville, where many of his descendants still live. One of John-Henry’s grandchildren is named after this man. That is why it is important to include him in this information.
The earliest date I find on him is that the Georgia Land Lottery of 1827 lists his name as a lucky winner of land in Carroll Co., GA. The drawing was held in Baker Co., GA. He also shows up in the 1840 census in Baker Co., GA. If this is indeed the same Green Tinsley who moved to Alabama then Mississippi. In 1840 John Henry would already be living in Kemper Co., MS.
Charles Tinsley and Green Tinsley are on the 1845 tax digest in Baker, from Baker county box in special collection box divison in Ga dept. of archives and History, Atlanta, GA
28 Chas. Tinsley
29 Green Tinsley
these names are listed in the Ga. mag, winter 1986 p. 76 as having fought the Creek Indians on Feb. 19, 1836.
A Green Tinsley was a County Officer in Baker GA Justice of Inferior Court, May 15, 1833.
Jan. 15, 1845, and Jan. 6, 1849. This same Green found on the 1860 Kemper Co. Censes
Listed as 60, born in Ga. He had a wife 40. and children susan 24, John G 20, and Burwell 18.
His son Burwell served in the 35th MS Regiment Co A "Barry’s Gaurds", organised in
Kemper Co. Feb 26th, 1862. He was wounded at Corinth and killed in Texas. He served with Henry Green Tinsley and a Jas Tinsley.
1850 KEMPER COUNTY, MISS. CENSES
What relation are these Tinsleys?
#284 Tinsley, Thomas 52m farmer Ga. (possible brother of John Tinsley)
Tinsley, Martha 55f Ga.
#285 Tinsley, Jas. B. 26m farmer AL
Tinsley, Nancy 21 AL
JOHN HENRY TINSLEY married MARTHA BONNER
son of John Tinsley and Mary ? daughter of Hubbard Bonner and Rachel Megee
Born: April 16, 1797, Jones Co, GA Born: Jan. 16, 1803, Jefferson Co., GA
Died: Oct. 27, 1872, Kemper Co., MS Died: March 19, 1873, Kemper Co., MS both are buried in the Tinsley Cem. Kemper Co., MS
John Henry Tinsley was born in Jones Co., GA on April 3 1797. From there they moved to Jones Co., GA where he married Martha Bonner on Sept. 9, 1817. She is the daughter of HUBBARD AND RACHEL Bonner.the couple moved to Butler Co., AL in 1818. They lived there until 1836 when they moved to Kemper Co., MS and settled there until his death, Oct. 27, 1872. Martha died soon after on March 19, 1873 of pneumonia.
They settled in what is now called Kemper Co. and homesteaded lots of land.
Some if it is still owned by Tinsley’s to this day.
When they arrived in Mississippi, Kemper was not even a county then. The area was called WAHALIC , an Indian name for something. It was a place of large virgin timber and lots of wildlife. That is probably the reason they choose the area. John Henry built a log cabin and hunted and trapped wildlife. It was also a place with lots of Indians. There is an Indian mound not far from there. At the time the closest community to the homestead was call Moscow. Now the community is called Damascus. the closest town is Decalb about 30 min.’s from Meridian.
They had 11 children
1. Josiah Tinsley born: 1820 in Butler Co., AL married: Catherine May in MS died: Ouachita Parish, LA, around Monroe, LA
2. Nancy Tinsley born: Jan 28, 1822 in Butler Co., AL never married but had a son named Adolphus Grant. 1850 and 1860 censes show her living in the home of her parents. 1880 censes show her living in the home of Grant Tinsley (her son)
The children of Adolphus Grant Tinsley wife ????
1. Frances Tinsley, born 187-, married Benjamin Tinsley(son of Pleasant
Frances died Mar. 27, 1958, Noxubee Co., MS
2. John Thomas Tinsley, born Aug. 20, 1878, married Ida Lee Tinsley (son of Pleasant Green Tinsley)-John died Oct. 23, 1963, Neshoba Co., MS.
3. John Jay Tinsley born: Jan. 24, 1823, Maringo Co., Selma, Al Died: Nov. 30, 1885, Kemper Co., MS, Buried in Tinsley Cem., MS Married: in 1847 to Letty A Rogers Lettie was born: Feb. 27, 1827 and Died: Sep. 4, 1892 also buried in the Tinsley Cem. John Jay Attended University of AL and fought in the Civil War (Conf.) captured in battle of Vicksburg
There children were:
1. Martha Jane Tinsley "Dink", born in Butler Co., AL in 1848 married Phil W. Davis in Dec. 11, 1867 Phil was born on July 11, 1842 There children were Virginia (Jennie); William (Will); John; Mattie J.; Lilla A. (Alma?); Eva P.(Evelayn?); and Phil W. Davis Jr.
2. Mary Elizabeth Tinsley, born Feb. 21, 1853 in MS and died at age 10 in Nov. 1, 1863. was buried in Tinsley Cem.
3. Pleasant Green Tinsley, born April 16, 1854 in Kemper Co. and died in May 17 1931 in Philadelphia, MS. married Sara Elizabeth Meeks, died Feb. 18, 1907. she was the daughter of John Litteton Meeks.
their children were:
A. Benjamin Tinsley, born Apr. 1873, Kemper Co., MS, married Frances Tinsley (Daughter of Adolphus Grant Tinsley) died Mar. 27, 1958 in Noxubee Co., MS
B. Sara Letisha Tinsley, born in 1877, Kemper Co., MS,
died before 1880, Kemper Co., MS
C. John Henry Tinsley, born Feb. 1, 1881, Neshoba Co., MS, married Rene Posey Died Sep. 1977
D. Ida Lee Tinsley, born Oct. 12,1885, Neshoba Co., MS,
married John Thomas Tinsley (Son of Adolphus Grant Tinsley) Ida died Oct. 23, 1963, Neshoba Co., MS
E. Samuel Moses Tinsley, born Apr. 14, 1891, Neshoba Co., MS, died May 30, 1891
F. Ethel Elizabeth Tinsley, born 1894, Neshoba Co., MS, married George Thaggert Died in 1938
Then married Belinda Tullos, she died in 1918 of the great flu
G. William Clifton Tinsley, born 190-, Neshoba Co., MS married Ethel Belle Moore
H. James Madison Tinsley, born Jul. 10, 1911, Neshoba Co., MS, died Dec. 9, 1992
I. Mary Tinsley, born July 10, 1911, Neshoba Co., MS, died 1941
(continue with children of John Jay Tinsley)
4. Joanna Tinsley, born Sept. 18, 1856 in MS and died at age 5 in June 13, 1861 and is buried in the Tinsley Cem.
5. Moses Tinsley, born 1858 and died in 1885. Married Viva Van Norman. And was murdered by Will Perry at the Episcopal Church in Kemper Co.
6. Sarah Tinsley, born June 23, 1859 and died in June 18, 1908. Married Travis Carpenter who was born Sept. 27, 1859 and died Feb. 9, 1938. Both are buried at Fellowship Cem. there children are listed as: Ester, Bert, Lela, Moses, John,
Arthur, Luther, Aubrey, and Elton Carpenter.
7. Ida Tinsley, born about 1865 and died in 1918. Married Harrison Parker.
8. Emma Tinsley, died in 1945, married Dr. John Woods They had a child named Felix.
9. John Tinsley, died in 1953, lived in Evansville, IN
4. Frederick J Tinsley, born: April 9, 1825 in AL and died in Dec. 30, 1905
Married: Martha Ogden who was born in May 18, 1833 in SC and
died in Dec. 22, 1910. I am told they had no children.
They are buried at Union Springs Baptist Church in Kemper Co.
5. Elizabeth Tinsley born: July 27, 1827 in AL. and died Sept. 1879. Married a Sherrod
in the 1860’s and is buried in the Tinsley Cem.
6. Martha Jane Tinsley "Puss" born: 1830 in Al.
Married: in 1848 to James Oden (cousin of Martha Oden)
James fought with the 43rd Miss. Infantry, Co K Roster
called the ‘Kemper Fencibles’.
There children were: Willis G (Bill); Alice, who married Bert
Trigg, and had children Albert, Mamie, and Alice Trigg; and
John F Oden, all born in MS.
7. Charles Bonner Tinsley born: 1834 in AL and died in 1916 in Kemper Co., MS
Married: Arabella Mathews she died in 1919
Both are buried in the Tinsley Family Cem. in Kemper Co., MS
He was a Conf. Civil War Veteran and meet wife Bell while injured
During Battle of Richmond (she is from Richmond, VA)
Attended the University of Alabama
Their children were:
1. Charley M. Tinsley (Oct. 19, 1869 - July, 1870)
died only 10 months old and buried in Tinsley Cem.;
2. Henry Lee (March 12, 1871- July 6, 1876) died at age 5 and buried at the Tinsley Cem.
3. Dr. John Ed Tinsley (Sept. 13, 1873 - Jan. 8, 1943) was a doctor in Meridian, MS. Trained in Virgiania while living in grandmother’s family
4. Ashby Lamar Tinsley Born Feb 7, 1876 died Aug. 6, 1951 married Sarah Etta Dew Culpepper born Jan 14, 1888 and died in a car accident in 1961. Both are buried in Meridian.
There children were:
1. John Henry Tinsley, born Oct. 23 1914, Kemper Co., MS and died in 1994 of collin cancer. Married Elmese Simons on Mar. 18, 1938 and had 2 children: Johnnie Gay and Edwin Eugene later married Ruth Hunter. Worked for ICR for 33 driving train. Their children are:
1. Edwine Eugene Tinsley
2. Johnnie Gay
2. Algene Tinsley, born Oct. 24, 1919 married Renia Lewis born Sep. 5, 1924 Fought in North Africa and Italy during WWII
Their chilren are:
1. Ricky Lamar Tinsley born Aug. 9, 1951
2. Doretta Lyn Tinsley born May 16, 1953
3. Billy Eugene Tinsley born June 26, 1954
5. Johnny Pernell Tinsley born June 13, 1957
3. Herman Tinsley, born Feb. 3, 1922, died Dec. 17, 1994 Fought in Battle of the Bulge in Belgium and France WWII
4. Ruth Tinsley, born Nov. 23, 1912 married Harlin Elms
5. Ruby Tinsley, born Nov. 23, 1912 married Clarence Reinhold
6. Mary Bell Tinsley, born June 8, 1917, married Larry Ables
7. Mossella Tinsley, born April 28, 1927
8. Ellen Ray Tinsley, born May 21, 1924
8. Henry Green Tinsley born: Feb. 6, 1836 in MS and died in Feb. 11, 1909
Married: about 1860 to Ellen Crowder born in Apr. 26, 1839 and died in Sept. 14, 1911. both are buried in Magnolia Cem. in Meridian, MS Served in the 35th MS Regiment Co A (Barry’s Guards) This unit was organized in Feb. 26, 1862 and he was wounded in the battle of Vicksburg.
There Children were:
1. Ella Tinsley born in 1863 married to Jeff Davis and their children were: Albie, John, Fred, and Mamie Davis.
2. Willie Tinsley born Dec. 8, 1870 and died Dec. 23, 1955. Willie never married and buried in Magnolia Cem. in Meridian, MS. She was a school teacher and principal in Meridian, MS
3. Mattie Tinsley born July 31, 1872 and died Dec. 25, 1967. she married Lewis Buchee who was born Oct. 10, 1867 and died Dec. 11, 1949. Both are buried at Hickory Grove Cem. Their children were: Mark, Lucile, Velma, and several infant are buried at Hickory Grove Cem.
They are: Albert, Marie, Charles Henry, and "Infant baby boy".
4. Etta Tinsley born about 1878. married John Rogers. they are both buried at Magnolia Cem. and had one child named Margaret.
5. there is a tomb stone in the Tinsley Cem. "To the Infant of Mr. and Mrs. H.G. Tinsley" no dates
9. Benjamin Thomas Tinsley born: March 25, 1838 in MS and was killed Jan 21, 1862 during 2ed Battle of Manases (Bull Run) Buried in Tinsley Cem. in Kemper Co. MS
10. Matilda Caroline Tinlsey born: 1840 in MS and died in 1896 (buried in Tinsley Cem.)
First married in 1855 to Thomas Oden who was born in 1834 and killed in the Civil War in Savanna GA. then married:in 1869 to James Phillip born May 25, 1843 and died Jan. 29, 1891.
Their children were:
1. Martha Ann (Mattie) born before 1860 and married
John Glass about 1873. they had 3 children
buried in the Tinsley Cem.:Laura (1873-1875),
Charles (1888-1891), Mattie (? -1892)
2. Susan (Soonie) born in 1860. married John Mckinnion
3. Faustina Annabelle Phillips born Dec. 13, 1870 died Oct. 29, 1944. buried at Fellowship Baptist Cem. married in 1891 to Will Wright who died about 1891.
4. Henry Adolphus born May 3, 1872 and died Feb. 24, 1953. married Luella Jane Kckee who was born July 29, 1875. and died Mar. 4 1961. both are buried at Magnolia Cem.
5. James Walter Phillips born Nov. 6, 1874 and died 1893 never married and was a school teacher at Pervis, MS.
6. Elizabeth Lavenia Phillips born Dec 16, 1875 marriedEd Calvert. They had no children. She died of typhoid fever and buried in Brownwood, Texas.
7. William Lee Phillips born March 22, 1878 and died Jan 12, 1946. Buried in Hattiesburg, MS married in 1899 to Ella Thompson buried in Pervis, MS?
8. Dillon Onslow Phllips born April 13, 1880. died Aug. 18, 1944 buried in Collins, MS married Josie Rogers who died Jan 21, 1941.
9. Annie Jane Clementine born July 2, 1881 died July 13, 1972 married on Dec. 24, 1900 to Jesse Dudley Bounds born Aug. 22, 1876 died Mar. 26, 1970. buried Pine Forest Cem., Laud. Co.,
1870 census information shows a William Tinsley, mulatto; sell Tinsley, black; and Allen Tinsley, mulatto. These were probably prior slaves of John Henry. Census information before 1870 would not have counted them because they were slaves. After 1870 they were free.
Jeff Kemp - State Coordinator
If you have questions or problems with this site, email the County Coordinator. Please to not ask for specfic research on your family. I am unable to do your personal research. I do not live in MS and do not have access to additional records.